Wednesday, February 7, 2018

February 7, 2018


OUR  FATHER, 
FORGIVE  US  OUR  TRESPASSES 

Okay, I dropped your coffee mug.
It broke big and you forgave me big.

I didn’t want to play baseball
and all the other dads were
bragging about their sons -
you let me play lacrosse instead.

I didn’t want to go to college.
I wanted to be do car repairs
and work in a body shop - and
dad you said, not at first, but
you said, “Okay, son. Go for it.”

I married her. I knew she wasn’t
the one you hoped for, but our
5 daughters made you one big
wonderful mushy grandfather.

When your younger son messed
up - disappeared - and finally
came back begging, you took him
in immediately. It took the rest of us
a while, but thanks for the good example.

Dad, there are 70 times 7 more times
and examples and episodes of forgiveness
that you showed us. Thanks for those
lessons and a lot more. I just hope
I live up to all you taught me.
  
© Andy Costello, Reflections 2018

No comments: