Monday, January 22, 2018

YOU’RE  ALLOWED  23


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 3rd Monday in Ordinary Time is, “You’re Allowed 23.”

I better explain and I better give a subtitle.

You’re allowed 23 Scripture texts that you don’t understand or it’s confusing  or you wonder about.

23 is a round number. It could be 123.

I should have started to write down during the last 52 or so years as a priest the scripture texts people asked me about.  

The situation or the interview goes like this: “Do you have a minute, Father? I have a question. For years I’ve wondered about a Bible text.” They then mention the text and wait for an answer.

TODAY’S GOSPEL

Today’s gospel has one of those texts. “But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an everlasting sin.”

Please explain.

Then there are various explanations.

For example, “Well if a person rejects forgiveness, they are not forgiven. It happens with each other, so God might be just accepting our position of not wanting forgiveness. Next!”

NOT ALL AT ONCE

Now people don’t have their 23 head scratching texts all at once.

There is usually a trigger or a button pushed. Someone is at church and they hear a reading and they go, “Oh yeah! What about …?”

A homily is a reflection on scripture readings - especially the readings of the day.

If I’m the preacher,  I realize if I say some words on the First Reading, some might have questions on the Gospel or vice versa.  Or someone says, “You said nothing about what I wanted to hear something about.”

Or if I’m the preacher,  I realize the comments I make on a scripture text might confuse people or they say, “What?” or “That’s not my take on that text.” or “Nice try.” or “Disagree.”

I remember reading a sermon once. I think it was by Kierkegaard. The sermon talks  about a couple who lost their son. They wrestled the rest of their life with God about his early death. “Not fair!” “Why?” Then they wrestled all their life as well, on the text in Genesis 22 when Abraham is asked by God to climb a mountain and offer up their son Isaac to God. He is to be sacrificed.  He is to be made a burnt offering. Then God stops the action. Abraham is asked to offer up a lamb instead. 

So: all their life they talked and argued with God about that story in Genesis  - and especially why God took or let their son die.

One answer I heard to that one was this. It’s a made up parable or story to argue against child sacrifice, a practice that went on in our world at times.  There is evidence of this in the Bible and in world history.  

Another comment has been.  For starters it took Sarah and Abraham a long time to get pregnant. Well, here is another obstacle to God’s plan for our world to be saved through Abraham. His only son dies. Folks life isn’t easy. Difficulties - obstacles happen. 

It also connects us in time to God the Father letting his Son die - the Lamb of God - on the cross - the sacrifice that brings life to the world.

CONCLUSION

Enough already.  The title of my homily is, “You’re Allowed 23.”

In a note pad or journal or a piece of paper in your Bible, jot down texts that you wonder about - question - scratch you head about, and see how many you have. You’re allowed 23.

No comments: