Monday, January 8, 2018

January 8, 2018


GROUND

Genesis 2: 7 “… the Lord God formed Adam
out of the clay of the ground and blew  into
his nostrils the breath of life, and so Adam
became a living being.”

I stand there - all alone - looking around.
Then I pause to look down to the ground.
Sometimes it’s dirt. Sometimes it’s a hard
cement  sidewalk. Sometimes it’s red brick.

Sometimes it’s pebbles. Sometimes macadam.
Sometimes it’s the green, green grass of home.
Sometimes it’s clay or mud, the earth from
which our God has formed and sculpted us.

Your word became flesh - fleshy  us - and then
you breathed your life into us. Here we are, 
of the earth - and of our God - and you raised us
up to stand tall, on the face of the earth, O Lord.

So Lord, Creator, form me out of mud.
Sculpt me out of clay - but please God, 
don't let me become a person who is like 
hard cement, red brick, macadam or cobblestone.



© Andy Costello, Reflections 2018

No comments: