Tuesday, December 19, 2017


HEROES


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for December 19th  is, “Heroes.”

“Heroes.”

Today’s two readings give us two big bible heroes: Samson and John the Baptist.

They are placed together here in our readings for today, because both have similar stories.

Both readings begin with moms who were barren - without a child - and then there is a promise of a child. After their birth, the story of Samson and John the Baptist growing up have incidents of surprise and strange patterns of eating.

And if you put both readings side by side you can see Luke knew the story of Samson in the Book of Judges.  For example Samson’s mom is told to be careful and take no wine or strong drink and to eat nothing unclean. John the Baptist in turn is described as drinking neither wine nor strong drink.

Then we read in the Book of Judges and the gospel of Luke what made them heroes.

QUESTIONS

Do we all have heroes?

In growing up do we all need heroes?

Who have been our heroes?

Then the big question: have we ever done anything heroic?

HEROES

The bible presents us with some amazing heroes.

Our Catholic church presents us with many heroes, especially the saints.

Our sports world and our world history provides us with outstanding examples of presidents like Abraham Lincoln and Nelson Mandela.

Of course there are degrees  and disagreements about heroes.

Heroes are big sandwiches with the right ingredients: integrity, leadership, security, saving others, giving hope to others.

Heroes  provide support, hope,  victory, and courage. They give us nerve. They   embolden  us. They help us to be unafraid.

They are givers not takers. 

They are movers and they are shakers.

They teach us how to live and how to die.

MOVING TOWARDS A CONCLUSION

The title of my homily is, “Heroes.”

It used to be a title just for men - and heroines for women. Now the title, "heroes" works for both men and women.

Thanks for listening. I want to do some more thinking about the topic - especially the question, “Who have been my heroes?”

I grew up as the youngest and my brother was the oldest of us four. Like most younger brothers I lived in my brother’s shadow - but it wasn’t till his cancer - which began with a doctor giving him the news - ironically - on a Good Friday, “You have 18 months to live at the most.” I asked him then and there, “How are you going to deal with this?”  His answer: “I’ll let you know.”

It was how he dealt with death and his cancer treatments that I realized he was a hero to me. Near his death, he said to me, “You asked me how I would deal with this. Well, thank God for mom and dad who gave us faith.” Then he added, “Besides faith, I tried humor. I tried to think only of others. Also I did my exercise and whatever the doctors told me to do.”

CONCLUSION

So give the idea of heroes some thought.

Check out Davie Bowie’s song, “Heroes” as well as Bette Midler’s song, “Wing beneath my wings.


No comments: