Thursday, October 19, 2017

October 19, 2017




NOT  SHAME,  LOVE  


She blamed me for trying to shame her -
into loving her parents - whom sorry
to say - she dumped a while back there.
Okay,  there are reasons for everything.

Blaming me quieted me. It shut me up.
I didn’t want to make things worse.
This most basic human connection -
father and daughter - can earthquake.

It’s as basic as saliva in the mouth,
no matter how you try to spit someone
out of your life. I just wanted to say, “Please
recover. We all have only so much time.”

I love you enough right now to say all this.
I just don’t want to see you bent over at
their graves - feeling ugly that we died
without forgiving and loving one another.

Get under a cross and pray, “Father forgive
us because we don’t know what we’re doing.”
Who’s right? Who’s wrong? Who cares?
There’s always 7 stories in every story.

I hope each of you hears this and says,
“At least 7 stories! Please forgive me!”
Every parent-child story needs to be
resolved with love - not shame - not blame. Amen.


© Andy Costello, Reflections  2017


1 comment:

Mary Joan said...

Amen .