Monday, August 14, 2017


LESSONS  FROM  A  LIFE: 
SAINT  MAXIMILIAN  KOLBE 


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is, “Lessons From A Life:  Saint Maximilan Kolbe.”

We can look at any person’s life and ask: “What are the lessons I can learn from this person’s life?”

I just did a funeral up Bestgate Road a big: at Lasting Tributes. Like every funeral, it got me thinking.

I think every person at a funeral or a loved one - sort of sits there and answers that question. What have I learned from this person _______.

Today, we’re commemorating the life of St. Maximilan Kolbe who died this day in Auschwitz - August 14, 1941.

When we look at a holy person’s life, we can ask that question, “What does this person teach me?”

Since I used the number 3 yesterday in my homily, let me take 3 lessons from Max Kolbe’s life.

GREATER LOVE THAN THIS

The first thing people think of when it comes to the life of Max Kolbe, it’s that he gave his life for another human being.

A prisoner escaped from Auschwitz where Max was being held prisoner. He was one of the many priests who were arrested by the Nazi's. The commandant lined up all the inmates from Cell Block 14 and picked out 10 to be executed. One of the 10 was Franciszek  Gajowniczek. He screamed out that he had a wife and 2 sons who needed him. 

At that Max Kolbe stepped out of line and said, "I want to go instead of this man. I am alone. I am a Catholic priest."

And they allowed this request and 47 year old Max Kolbe was thrown in a cell with 9 others who were being starved to death.  

After 10 days 3 were left, so to get more room a doctor went into their cell and injected them with carbolic acid.

As Jesus said, "Greater love no one has than to lay down their life for their friends."



THE IMPACT OF A SPIRITUALITY

The second thing that hit me was the question of how a specific spirituality hits and forms and impacts a person.

Max Kolbe was a Franciscan.  How much did Franciscan Spirituality impact the life of this priest? 

Those of you who are Third Order Franciscans can answer that question.

Those of you who have made Jesuit retreats or went to Jesuit schools, how did their spirituality hit you?

We have Redemptorists in this parish. How does their spirituality inform and impact you?

Great questions.

FOR OR AGAINST ANOTHER: CHERRY PICKING

My third learning is this: if we are for someone or against someone, we select stuff about that person to criticize them or to build them up.

At the time of Max Kolbe’s process for canonization as a saint, some people brought up the issue of anti-Semitism.

Yes there are some digs at Jews in the newspaper his group put out, but…. They faced this question in the investigation by Rome whether to declare Max Kolbe a martyr and saint or what have you.

I still hear those same “money hungry” comments about Jews till today. Is it jealousy, ignorance, prejudice, or what have you?  

If someone is in favor of Max Kolbe people bring up an organization he was very much part of stress how they helped immigrants, 2/3 out of which were Jewish.

Moreover Francis Gajowniczek - the man whose life - he substituted himself for - was Jewish.

CONCLUSION

The title of my homily is,  “Lessons From A Life:  Saint Maximilan Kolbe.”

In the meanwhile, we can also look at our life - our legacy - our values and our behaviors.

No comments: