Sunday, May 21, 2017


VESTMENTS

In our Masses and Baptisms here at St. Mary’s and St. John Neumann’s churches we sometimes use vestments with images of children on them. When using them I often get comments about how neat they are.

I’ve also got the thought: why doesn’t the same company or other companies make similar vestments with images of senior citizens on them?

Or families? Or cities? Or workers? Or people playing sports?

When I went on line, sure enough, there are various unique vestments. Some are a bit much and too, too expensive. 

Yet, the possibilities are endless.  Is there a Michelangelo of the Sistine Chapel Ceiling fame - who could make great vestments?

We also have here a few stoles with images of animals on them. They seem to represent  the Biblical scene of creation or Noah’s Ark. Sometimes in wearing that stole I see little kids during a baptism staring at images.  Yet I hesitate to guess how and what little kids see.

At Mass what are we supposed to be seeing or thinking about?  Purists might scream at a vestment showing little children on them. Or if I had my way, why not have vestments with images of 17 people in wheelchairs or Down Syndrome kids at a party? 

Check out stained glass windows. They could use a make-over as well. The images have to be lasting - people will be looking at them for centuries.  Great images can call us to greatness.  I’m not an artist - but I’ve seen some art work in stained glass windows that do not have a grab in them.

I made a retreat once in a mother house in Kentucky and they had wonderful hanging tapestries that were put up for different seasons. I thought they were neat - and gospel driven - and one super way to get the Good News of Jesus proclaimed.

If someone who wants to start a cottage industry with more of these image driven vestments, start with senior citizens. Check out Normal Rockwell images and gather great artists. Go for it.



P.S.  I noticed that a Vestment Making Company is called, “Theological Threads.”  How about that?

No comments: