Wednesday, March 1, 2017


WHERE IS YOUR GOD?
  
INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this Ash Wednesday is, “Where Is Your God?”

That’s a question from today’s first reading - from the Prophet Joel [2:17]

“Where is your God?”

There are many answers to that question - and I’m going to suggest an answer to that question from today’s Gospel.

FIRST SOME OTHER ANSWERS

Someone might say: I met God in the hospital a few years back. I was quite sick.  In fact I was scared that this might be it - so fear brought me right into the presence of God in Room 378 - and when I got better I came out of Room 378 with God in my life from then on.

Down through the years, whenever I’m in Manhattan, I visit St. Patrick’s Cathedral - but more important for me - is to walk about two streets north - on the other side of the street - and walk into St. Thomas’ Episcopal Church.  I take a seat in the semi-darkness, preferably with a pillar nearby - to hide behind.  I begin to see people in prayer and I realize this is where they find God. St. Patrick’s Cathedral has too much light -  too many tourists - and too much noise on a weekday afternoon.

Where is your God?

People have met God in the experience of having and raising a new born baby - or in the love discovered in marriage - or a family get together at Thanksgiving - or Sunday Mass or back packing in the mountains, or the Grand Canyon or on a sailboat some early Saturday morning in the Bay or a sunrise - or on a day like today: Ash Wednesday.

Where is your God?

AN  ANSWER IN TODAY’S GOSPEL

Today’s gospel is from the Sermon on the Mount - which is a neat summary of many of Jesus’ sayings and teachings.

Check out Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18.

Jesus begins by saying, “Enough with show.”

Religion can have too many “selfies” - too much tooting of one’s own horn.

Jesus says it’s about inner stuff. Religion is an inside job. Don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing - when you’re giving alms or praying or what have you.

Listen to Jesus again,
"When you pray,
do not be like the hypocrites,
who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners
so that others may see them.
Amen, I say to you,
they have received their reward.
But when you pray, go to your inner room,
close the door, and pray to your Father in secret.
And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.”

There it is - a place to meet our God. It's in our inner room.

We all have an inner room. Sometimes we feel it’s in our chest. That’s when religion and God is really emotional.

Where is your God?

Best:  it’s in our head, in our mind, between our ears.

This Lent, clear out that inner room.

I suggest you have a nice Lazy Boy or Girl Chair in there.  I call it one's "prayer chair.”

It's in one's mind - and one sees it better if you have an actual physical prayer chair in your geography.

Find a place in your house - a bedroom corner - or back porch when it gets warmer  - or anywhere you can be quiet and peaceful - and sit there in your actual prayer chair.

A friend of mine fixed up his garage and made it a secret chapel.  His car is always outside now. But neighbors discovered his chapel and they slip in there on a regular basis. He loves to sit in there and pray.

For my dad it was our cellar.

I talking mainly here to have an inner room - inside our head - but use a lazy boy chair or a simple chair - in  a quiet place to sit down in.

Start with 10 minutes at the most - once every day - and go to your quiet chair and pray. Some days you'll miss. Don't be a nut - crazy - when it comes to your time - your relationship - with God.

You can use a Bible or one of those Black Lenten Books in the back we give out here every Lent or a pair of rosary beads - but sit in that chair - in a quiet place - and be in God’s presence.

Just begin: “Lord, it’s me. Hi. I’m here to be at peace with you and give you a bit of praise.”

Whatever….

CONCLUSION

Start off 5 to 10 minutes at the most for this Lent and when you grasp this use of time - you’ll end up doing this every day - and if anyone asks you, “Where is your God?” you’ll smile.


And you’ll answer, “With me!” or “Everywhere!” or “Whenever….”

No comments: