Monday, March 6, 2017


ONE  BUMPER  STICKER 
PER  PERSON 

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this First Monday in Lent is, “One Bumper Sticker Per Person.”

If you could put one bumper sticker on your car - what would it be?

Maybe you already have 5 on your car. If you do, you’re way ahead of me in this homily.

If you could put one scripture text on your car, what would it be?

For the sake of transparency, I have one of those magnet type - ribbon thing on my car, “Pray for Priests.”  It’s not a scripture text.

I hope someone seeing that said a prayer for priests when they saw it.

I assume it comes out of the abuse cases a bit - but I don’t know.

It’s tough seeing in the paper or on TV - a story about a priest being accused or being convicted of child abuse.

Pray for priests. Pray for those who have been abused by priests or anyone.

SCRIPTURE TEXT

I got the thought for this homily when I read today’s gospel.

Every time I see someone holding the  sign John 3:16  at a football or basketball game, I get the thought, “Why not Matthew 25:31-46?” Yet John 3:16 is very powerful,  “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not be lost but may have eternal life”

Today’s gospel, Matthew 25: 31-46 - powerful implications.

So if you could put one biblical text on your car as a bumper sticker, what text would you choose?

I would put my favorite Bible text: Galatians 6:2, “Bear one another’s burdens and in this way you will fulfill the Law of Christ.”

Why not?



I’m sure I told  this story before, because I love it. A Jewish guy - a very successful  business man -  once said to me, “I have a great idea on how the pope can solve any money problem.” Then he added, “Don’t take this the wrong way.”  Then he said, “Every time I see the pope wearing that white outfit - I’m not sure just what you call it -  I see all that empty space with nothing written on it. I see it as great advertising space - going empty. What would it be like to see Pepsi Cola on it.”




What would it be like to read Matthew 25: 31-46 on the pope’s cassock?

If people took that parable of Jesus to mind and heart - could anyone be for trying to oust strangers from our country - and causing them and their families hell - and causing hell inside themselves - as they scream for their removal.

If people took that parable of Jesus to mind and heart - would they have to triple the size of waiting rooms in hospitals and prisons?

If people took that parable of Jesus to mind and heart - would people go to food pantries with extra mac and cheese and food and clothes for the poor and the hungry - and thank those who staff them.

AMEN - CONCLUSION


So the title of my homily is, “One Bumper Sticker Per Person.” So what does or would your bumper sticker say?

No comments: