Monday, February 6, 2017


ORIGINS


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily of my reflections for this morning is, “Origins.”

It comes out of today’s first reading for this 5th Monday in Ordinary Time when we start the book of Genesis: 1: 1-19.  Sometimes we go through a whole book of the Bible, but this time we’re going to get Genesis for just two weeks.  As you know Genesis is a long book, so we’ll get sections of it at other times of the year.

GENESIS - BEGINNINGS - ORIGINS

Genesis - as we know - means beginnings.

I chose the word “Origins” to get at a few thoughts for a Monday morning.

There is something in us humans that triggers origins questions at times.

How did I get here? Where did I come from?

Countries and companies like to put in writing where they come from.  But it’s usually well after they are established.

So too individuals - so too families.

I noticed about in the past 25 years or so - people seem to be more interested in genealogies than in the past.  I don’t know if that’s true, but that’s my sense as I think about this in a first draft talk about “Origins”.

The latest thing we’re seeing is DNA reporting.

You send in some spit and some money and you get a report on your DNA.

I am tempted to try that, but I hesitate, because  I wonder and worry about follow up mail, etc. etc. etc.

PENTATEUCH AND THE BIBLE

The first 5 books of the Bible - the Pentateuch - gives us origins stuff - but we can say, so too the whole Bible.

Our Jewish Bible begins with a creation account. Better linguists point out that there are two solid creation accounts here in the beginning of Genesis - with other material mixed in.

When we studied Genesis we learned that lots of primitive cultures from around the world have primitive creation accounts.

In fact, I have a collection of Creation Accounts - from different cultures.

People want to know about ancestors.

People want to know about plants, trees, animals, the sun, the moon, and the sky.

Genesis, today’s first reading, will give us the first 4 days of creation.

Genesis also gives us the next 3 days tomorrow.

Genesis gives us names of people and places.

MAIN MESSAGES

And if one takes the time - and reads enough about Genesis or any creation account - key main messages can be gleaned from the texts.

God is our Creator.

God creates good.

So the next question is: where does bad come from?

Genesis will tackle that one - when it tells us about the good tree and the bad tree - and not to choose to eat from this one tree.

So the message is: God doesn’t create bad.

So a message is, we have a choice.

The good fruit, bad fruit, is a choice story. It’s basic. It’s primitive. It’s also profound.  In this choice story - this good and evil story - the message is that we are the ones who messed up - grew up and choose evil.

OUR ROOTS - OUR ORIGINS

The title of my homily is, “Origins.”

We were created by our parents - and all is good.

When did we first realize evil?

I don’t know the answer to that - but my earliest memory of evil might have been a moment when I was walking along 4th avenue in Brooklyn. I was a tiny kid at the time. I began hearing two men in a gas station yelling at each other. Then one threw a tire iron - that metal plus sign - a cross - at the other guy. I can still hear that metal sound clinking on the ground ever since - plus the cursing and the anger.

I also remember seeing the police tracking down a pocket book thief - at a park as a kid.

Those two moments are still in my memory. I don’t remember kids being mean to other kids.

All was good - but I didn’t write my Genesis - so I haven’t written it.

I talk to my sister from time to time to get origins stories.

I assume I have to do more listening to our oral history and more writing and reading my Genesis.

CONCLUSION

Enough already….

Did I trigger any thoughts in you about your origins?

What are your origins questions?

What has been your experience of “The Good”.

What has been your experience of “The Bad” or “Evil”.

I remember reading something Jacques Maritain saying, “Okay you bring up the Problem of Evil, but please bring up the Problem of Good as well.”  


Then he added, “Why is there so much good in the world?”

No comments: