Friday, November 4, 2016


PREPARE  A  FULL ACCOUNT
OF YOUR STEWARDSHIP!


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 31 Friday in Ordinary Time is, “Prepare a Full Account of Your Stewardship.”

That’s a statement in today’s gospel, in the parable of the dishonest - but wise and prudent  - steward.

The Greek is translated into English in various ways: put it in writing, turn in an account, show me the books, make a list of money coming in and money going out….”

Modern translation: transparency!

WHEN ELSE DO WE HAVE THIS EXPERIENCE

When else do we have this experience of having to be transparent - put all on the table - let’s see what’s going on here?

In the next two weeks I have to see my regular doctor and a heart doctor. That sounds like a conversation that might take place in Heritage Harbor.

People empty out their pockets before stepping on the scale at the doctor’s office.

I have to take my blood sugar numbers every morning - with my Diabetes #2.  So I am careful for the few days before seeing my doctor - but she has this test that does a month before. Can’t cheat!

Make an account of your blood - your life - your health - your time.

As we get older, Erik Erikson, says the last stage of life is the 8th Stage - when we look at our life and say one or two things: not bad or disaster and “Uh oh!”

It’s good to make an account of one’s life - one’s stewardship.

As priest I know this more than a lot of other people.

There is an act of contrition that I’ve heard people using and loving - that says “I’m sorry for sins I committed that are long forgotten.”  The person who wrote that prayer has to be over 65!

PEN AND PAPER

In December I’ll be going on my 33rd Kairos Retreat with our high school seniors.

On the opening night an adult gets up and gives a talk called, “Autobiography” or “LifeGraph.”  She or he tells the story of their life up to that moment. I’ve given that talk 2 times. I prefer others to give it - so as to hear others give an account of their stewardship. Hearing another tell the story of their life - triggers stories in our lives.

At the end of the talk, someone gets up and says draw a line on a blank piece of paper - on the top put all the positives - on the bottom put all the negatives. I’ve done that exercise 32 times now.

Then in a small group each person tells their history to the other members of their small group. 

At 17 or 18 years of age, kids have a long way to go - compared to someone 76 years old.

To me that’s a great exercise - getting me in touch with my history and mystery.

If you have pen and pencil - or computer - jot down your life.

Do a time line.

READ AUTOBIOGRAPHIES

I love to read biographies - but especially autobiographies.

I urge you to read other people’s memories, published diaries and autobiographies.

I urge you to write your life - your memories.

I was in a hospital room on Wednesday - and a guy - 96 years of age was unconscious - and probably dying. He was on a boat that was hit in the water at Pearl Harbor - and lived.

His daughter in law - reached into her pocket book or bag and took out some papers. They were notes she took of his life - while he was conscious.  She also had some papers that he wrote down about his life.

He was born in Oklahoma - was a cowboy - a rancher - and part Indian. He was also in the Navy!

In time he got married and had kids and had the story of a life.

In this homily I’m saying, “Write your life.” In this homily I’m saying, “Make and account of your stewardship.”

I remember sitting down with my dad before he died and got a nice listing of where he had been and what happened in the time of his life. Years later I sat with a tape recorder and got some of the details of my life.

My niece Kathy volunteers down in New Orleans to sit with someone as they tell the story of their life - on tape. I don’t know the whole process, but I think they get a copy of their life and a copy goes into the archives of the United States or something like that.

MONTANA

When it was the 200th anniversary of the Lewis and Clark expedition I did the Montana part of that expedition by car with 2 classmates. We had about two weeks together.

It was a neat chance to catch up after we finished our studies. Clem went to Brazil. Tom went to Puerto Rico and Santo Domingo and I stayed in the states.
We talked to each other and made an account of our stewardship.

CONCLUSION

What’s key in doing this is the aftermath.

Like the guy in the gospel who had to make an account of his stewardship, it’s what happened afterwards that was key.

I know that I’ve thought a lot about my life by hearing and reading about others’ lives. Isn’t that the purpose of why Jesus told us this story. Amen.



++++++++++++++++
Painting on top: Al Capone With His Mafia Accountant







No comments: