Sunday, November 6, 2016


3  MAJOR  QUESTIONS

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 32 Sunday in Ordinary Time [C]  is, “Three Major Questions.”

I don’t know about you, but I’m going to enjoy this homily.

Why not?

“Three Major Questions?”

QUESTION ADDRESSED TO ALL OF US?

What are our 3 major questions? 

Questions we’re asking all the time?

Or big questions that scare us or intrigue us or pop up from time to time - big time - at different times - like before operations - or at funerals - or when we’re all alone at the beach or in an airplane - 30,000 feet in the sky?

The Rabbi was asked, “You’re always asking questions. Why?”

And the Rabbi answered, “Why not?”

Who invented the question mark?

It’s a great sculpture.

It has that hook in it - that fish hook shape in it - that’s meant to catch the other.

Will you marry me?

Can we talk?

Why did you do that?

A LADY ASKED ME YESTERDAY

A lady asked me on Friday, “What’s the difference between a sermon and a homily?”

I said, “Good question.”

That gets the person who is asked a question, a little bit of time to think.

Or people respond by saying, “Now that’s a very good question.”

Public people are asked questions all the time - so too parents by little kids.

And sometimes they answer the question. Sometimes they give answers that satisfy the questioner. Sometimes they avoid the question completely.

I often think a person who is asked a question should say at times - like the Rabbi,  “Why are you asking that question?”  Or “What are you wondering about?” Or, ‘Where’s that coming from?”

Or to do - what I heard Nelson Rockefeller do - in a Power Breakfast on Drug Abuse in New York City, years and years ago, for some 5000 people. - In the Q and A period, someone asked Nelson Rockefeller, the governor of New York State, at the time, a question.  And he answered, “Are you crazy? I wouldn’t answer that. Next question?”

Ever since I heard that, I’ve used that trick or comment with some twists and turns in Q. and A. - question and answer periods ever since. I’ve said things like, “I don’t care to answer that right now,” Or, “That could be a tricky question. It could cause uproar.” Or “I haven’t thought about that enough yet. Next question.” Or, “I’m wondering if you’re really asking that question.”  Or sometimes - with nervousness I might ask back, “Are you asking what you’re asking or are you asking something else?”

So the lady yesterday asked me the difference between a sermon and a homily.

I said, “Sometimes they mean the same thing. They are interchangeable. Or a sermon can be a religious talk in church - but a homily is more about the scripture readings for the day - at Mass - or what have you.”

TODAY’S READINGS

So this is a homily because today’s readings triggered this question about questions.  

Today’s first reading brings up two major questions.

First question: Is there anything we would die for?

These 7 brothers with their mother were arrested and tortured with whips and scourges by the king, to force them to eat pork in violation of God’s law.

I don’t know about you, but I think I’d eat the ham sandwich or pulled pork at Adam’s Ribs.

But if someone told me to beat someone’s mother on her sons, I would say, “No!”  even if it meant death. At least I hope I would.

If someone grabbed the Christ in the Eucharist from the tabernacle or the altar and with gun in hand asked me to jump on Christ, I hope I would say, “No! I’ll die for that.” 

Easier said than done.

And part of my answer is connected to the second question in today’s first reading, “Do I believe in the resurrection of the dead.”

That makes a difference in the question: what am I willing to die for?

I believe that there is more than this - but is that the reason I would die for Christ’s sale - because I know there is life after this life?

If I was a secret service agent, would I take a bullet for the president or a visiting prime minister or the pope, if that was my assignment?

TODAY’S GOSPEL

Today’s gospel has this funny story - about the woman  who  buried 7 brothers. It was a story that made the rounds in Jesus’ time as a way of making fun of those who believed in resurrection from the dead.

I’ve done lots of second and some third marriages of those who have lost their spouses - and at most of these weddings - there are fun comments about the spouse who had died - at the time of the new marriage.

There was thunder and lightning on the day my sister-in-law’s married Ron - both of whose spouses had died of cancer.

3 MAJOR QUESTIONS        

The title of my homily is, “Three Major Questions.”

I would think this question about resurrection from the dead is one of everyone’s three major questions.

Maybe yes? Maybe no?

What would be the other two - or three - if that’s not one of your three major questions?

This coming week - talk to each other  - after Tuesday - okay - make that Wednesday - what are your three major questions.

When we were studying existential philosophy in our first year after college - in the major seminary - I remember Father Joseph Colleran - who spent his last years in Annapolis - putting up on the black board two words - as he said, “This is the world’s shortest poem. It sums up existential philosophy in 2 words and 2 lines, and they rhyme.”

He wrote on the board: 
                         “I 
                          Why?”

For some reason I have never forgotten that and I have used that in sermons and talks and some homilies  ever since.

It’s the 6th question of the old Baltimore Catechism: “Why did God make you?”A. God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him for ever in heaven.”

I think it’s one of three major questions everyone asks themselves all the time.  “I / Why?”

And my third question is also two words and they also rhyme and I want to claim fame for writing  this other 2 word,  2 line poem, the second shortest poem ever written: 
                    “You 
                      Who?”

It’s the question parents ask of their teenage kids - in loud - and out loud. It’s the question spouses ask of spouses - most of the time silently. It’s the question I’ve been asking and talking to my sister Mary, we’re the last two left, about our dad - and also our mom. Both are well dead - and a lot of their inner stuff is buried with them.  Both were quite quiet.

That  wondering about them - to me - is one more proof of resurrection.

I remember Father Bernard Bassett, a Jesuit saying on the Johnny Carson show one night  - something like this - in answer to a question about what’s he going to do when he gets to heaven. He said, “I’m going right by Jesus Christ and heading for my parents. I have questions. Lots of questions. I have the rest of eternity to be with God.

CONCLUSION

The title of my homily is, “Three Major Questions.”


That’s your homework - and if you’re alive - please do Q and A with each other. 

No comments: