Monday, September 19, 2016


ON  THE 
REFRIGERATOR  DOOR

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 25th Tuesday in Ordinary Time is, “On the Refrigerator Door.”

From time to time I’ve noticed sayings and slogans on refrigerator doors.

Or they might be on shelves, walls, or bathroom mirrors - or they are bumper stickers.

Do you have one?

Do you have a favorite saying?

Do you have a favorite Bible text?

INGREDIENTS

The type I’m interested in -  is one that motivates us - pushes us - encourages us - focuses us - and has an action step.

It has to be short - clear - and specific.

Like: “By midnight - I’ll have given one compliment to someone today!”

Like: “Listen to someone today - really listen to someone today.”

Like: “Eyes - look at least one person in the eye today.”

Like: “I’ll take At least 10,001 steps on my Fitbit today.”

Like: “This week I’ll send at least one ‘Thank You’ note to someone.”

Like: “This week I’ll make at least one phone call to someone who would appreciate a phone call this week.”

Like: “A zipped lip can end a gossip slip!”

TODAY’S READINGS

I got this simple idea for this homily from today’s readings.

The first reading is from the Book of Proverbs - which has hundreds and hundreds of one liners. [Cf. Proverbs 3: 27-34.]

Like the opening paragraph in today’s first reading…. It has two possible sayings for a refrigerator door.

My translation: “Don’t refuse to do a good deed that another has a claim on you to do - and you have the power to do it. Just do it.”

Second one - from the bottom of that first paragraph. My translation: “Don’t say to someone, ‘Come back tomorrow and I’ll do it -  when you can do it right now.”

Today’s gospel - Luke 8: 16-18 -  says that we put lamps on stands and not under beds - so if you get a light - don’t keep it hidden - put it on your refrigerator door.

“Just do it!” from Nike is a good slogan for some people.

The Serenity Prayer for many is helpful: “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.”

My favorite Bible text is Galatians 6:2: “Bear one another’s burdens and in this way you’ll fulfill the law of Christ.”

This might be my last chance to say, “I love you!” so say it, turkey!

This is Bumper Sticker Stuff.

This is refrigerator door stuff.

In this way we’ll be light to our world. In this way we’ll be the salt of the earth.

In this way, we’ll make another’s day.

CONCLUSION

So the title of my homily is, “On the Refrigerator Door.” 


If you don’t have a slogan on your fridge - put one on today - and do it - and someone might spot it  - and they might say, “Great idea. I’ll try that too.”

No comments: