Tuesday, July 12, 2016


WHERE ARE  YOU FROM?

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 15th Tuesday in Ordinary Time is, “Where Are You From?”

Somewhere along the line,  I heard someone say: “The American First Question is, ‘Where are you from?’”

In other countries,  people often settled down - just 5 minutes from the home they grew up in - if not closer - so what’s their first question? “How are you today?” or “What’s going on?” or “How’s your dad?”

In America people are often from somewhere else.  Not everyone is an Annapolitan or a lifetime Naptown or Eastport resident.

TODAY’S READINGS

I decided to think about this theme, because both readings feature towns and cities. 

The first reading features Jerusalem.

Damascus, Samaria, and Ramallah are also mentioned.

Isaiah says, “All will be destroyed unless the people of Damascus, Samaria, Ramallah, Jerusalem return to their faith.”

Today’s psalm refrain was: “God upholds his city for ever.”

And today’s gospel challenges the people of Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum - to receive Christ - and his life and his message.

Today’s readings are like standing there at a crossroads or an airport - looking at the names of all these places one can go to or be from.

Is the bottom line in every conversation these 2 questions: 1) “Where are you coming from?” and 2) “Where are you headed with this?”

FURTHER QUESTIONS

Now let me see if I can come up with at least one interesting or looking under a rock question?

After Annapolis, what do we talk about?

We can be welcoming to strangers who come here to St. Mary’s.  We are a tourist town - in many ways. At Sunday Mass I like to say, “Welcome to any visitors.”  How about you?

I often wonder if our tower has any impact - especially in the area of faith and hope. With the scaffolding up there now, has anyone noticed us more? Has anyone heard God’s voice when he said to Francis of Assisi, “Go rebuild my church. And he thought it was the building at first.

We have a beautiful garden. Does anyone just stand there and watch folks sit with Seelos? I’ve heard our priests say when they see someone sitting there, say,  “He still hears confessions.” Does anyone see people reading the many stones in the garden with writing on them? Do you have a favorite one? What are people thinking who sit there outside the Blessed Sacrament Chapel - seeing people going in and coming out?

When walking about town and I spot tourists checking out that tourist multifold map of Annapolis, I often say, “Welcome to Annapolis.” Then add. “If you’re looking for a nice spot to check out,  see St. Mary’s on Duke of Gloucester. It’s the most visible church from a distance. It’s a great old church with history. Then there’s the Carroll House  behind it.

When talking with folks, I hope we’re not smug - bragging about where we come from and putting down where others come from.

Okay,  unless it’s a calm, quiet - pick on - type of  fun comment.

I lived in the Midwest for 81/2 years before I came here to Annapolis - as well as Wisconsin for a year. We preached parish missions in a couple of hundred small towns. They were neat places to visit or work in. Frank Lloyd Wright said, “I doubt if there is anything in the world  uglier than a Midwestern city.”

I disagree with his comments -  oops there is a place between Lima and Paulding Ohio that was pretty ugly when I lived out there.

I ended up describing Midwest towns having 3 regular values: faith, family and sports.

I’d say that because that was my evaluation - hoping others would think about their take on towns and cities they have been in - and their place in town.

CONCLUSION -



Welcome to Annapolis. Welcome to  St. Mary’s today.  Where are you coming from?  Does this place impact you or make you better? 

No comments: