Monday, April 4, 2016

April 4, 2016


HAPPY  DEATH

Not two words heard too often.
“Happy Death….” Yet we were often told
in the past - to pray for a Happy Death.

Oh I’ve heard people say, “I want
to die with my boots on.” Translation:
“I don’t want to be a burden!” or “I
don’t want to have to  spend 3 years
in a nursing home with a walker or
be in a wheelchair or have dementia
or Alzheimer’s and be a PITA.”

Saint Alphonsus - patron of a Happy
Death - wrote a whole book on the faith
and prayerful side of preparing for death.
It’s entitled, Preparation for Death [1757]
and then he spent his last few years in a
wheel chair - with a body plagued by
severe arthritis.

So pray this prayer:
“Hey, Saint Alphonsus,
help me to live today full of grace.
And when I’m with Jesus Christ
on my cross, whether it’s made of
wheelchair or plastic tubes or what
have you, be with me and bring Mary
too, as well as all the Saints, now
and at the hour of my death. Amen.

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2016

STATUE OF SAINT ALPHONSUS DE LIGUORI IN A WHEEL CHAIR
SAN ALFONSO RETREAT HOUSE,  WEST END NEW JERSEY



1 comment:

Mary Joan said...

I love that prayer !

It says it all !

Remind me if and when the time comes …….

I'll print it up just in case . :o)