Monday, March 7, 2016


WHAT’S NEW?

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 4th Monday in Lent is, “What’s New?”

What's new?

Today’s first reading from Isaiah 65 begins by the Lord saying, “I am about to create new heavens and a new earth.”  Then he adds that, “The tings of the past shall not be remembered or come to mind.”

Newness…. What’s new?  To think on that theme today.  There is something in us that calls for a new me - a better me - a more creative me - a holier me - a nicer me. Hopefully, we sense this in Lent. Easter me, O Lord.

I was thinking yesterday - Sunday - when doing my homily - that I was skipping any mention of  the first and second reading. I was only concentrating on the gospel, the story of the Prodigal Son. I felt guilty. The readers practice those first two readings and we preachers often skip them or fly by them.

Yesterday’s second reading from 2 Corinthians began, “Whoever is in Christ is a new creation: the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come.”

Surprise: today’s first reading has almost the same message here in Isaiah 65.

SO WHAT’S NEW?

The title of my homily is, “What’s New?”

I’m standing there last night in a hospital room at Anne Arundel Medical Center around 11 PM talking with someone who is about to die. Talking? Yes? Her mind was still very much present. She’s around my age and I could see the wrinkles and the damage from cancer.

Sometimes in such situations I don’t want to talk death and resurrection - especially with the family around the bed - because I don’t know where they are - with the whole death and dying process. I don’t know where the person is - with death and dying. I assume the nurses know something - because they called.

So last night I took the chance and said, “Remember me when you see God.” I said, “Soon you’ll be brand new in the kingdom of heaven.”

I don’t know what my thoughts will be when I’m in the same situation. I hope I’ll see this world as a womb - a second womb - and once more I’ll be a brand new baby - this time about to being born into eternity - into the everlasting kingdom.

Death and resurrection - the old and the new - we’re very familiar with these two realities. We’ve experienced both in our times.

New cars…. new homes …. new jobs …. new people in our lives …. new experiences we have to face.

We like the smell of the new. It could be a new car - home - restaurant - marriage - Spring - the first day in school, high school, college, joining the army, navy…. or it could be when that last kid leaves and we’re in an empty nest.

Life.

WITH FAITH - WITH GOD

Isaiah says the Lord does all this.

Today’s Psalm 30 says that the Lord does all this. The Lord rescues us. There will be no more mourning - no more night - but dawn and rejoicing.

Today’s gospel from John 4 tells us that Jesus changes the water into the new wine. Today’s gospel tells us that Jesus is the healer - the one who makes all things new. It is by faith that the Royal Official’s Son is healed.

CONCLUSION

There is something in us that likes the new  - whether it’s a new born baby in front of us in church or at the checkout line at Giant or Graul’s.

There is something in us that likes Good News - someone got a new job or got engaged - or a daughter or granddaughter or son won an award.

There is something we come to church for - the gospel - which means Good news.

We like good news.

We need good news.

We need the Gospel - which means Good News.


May we all be to and for each other Gospel - Good News. Amen.   

No comments: