Sunday, March 13, 2016

March 13, 2016



GOD'S PLAN

From time to time people ask me if God
has a plan for them. 

From time to time I answer, "Of course! And it's

very clear and it's very basic: love God with 
all your heart, mind, soul and strength and
love your neighbor as you love yourself."

This sort of silences them. That's not my
purpose - but it sort of silences them. 

Why?

I don't know - but it seems to me that they
want from God something more specific - 
something much more exact - with details.

Like whom to marry - where to go - what to do. 


They seem to want spelled out specifics -
clear contracts and carved out covenants in stone.

They want laws - rules and regulations.

If they keep pressing - I say - "Sorry I'm not

the one to talk to. In fact, I don't know whom to refer you to. I avoid Scribes and Pharisees."

Then I look them in the eye as I become quiet.  


If there is too much quiet, I might get nervous

and add, "In fact I avoid anyone who tells me
what God is thinking - other than what Jesus
meant when he said, 'Thy will be done on
earth as it is in heaven.'" 

Or I say, "Read the Gospels if you want particulars: love, forgive, wash feet, go the extra mile, give the shirt off your back, turn the other cheek, show pity and mercy to the one caught in sin and acknowledge the person who is tugging at the tassel of your sleeve."



                                                                                          © Andy Costello, Reflections 2016


No comments: