Monday, December 14, 2015


ORACLES

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 3rd Monday in Advent is, “Oracles.”

An oracle - is not a word - that we use that often.

Without looking it up in a dictionary - we get a sense about what it means.

It’s a speech - that’s more than a speech. In fact, when someone gives a really important speech, it’s called an oration at times.

And that word “oration” comes close to the word “oracle”.

Notice both of them have as their first three letters “ora” - the Latin word for prayer.

So an oracle is speech from on high - from God - special - powerful - with authority.

TODAY’S READINGS

I noticed that word “oracle” in today’s first reading. Balaam, son of Beor, gives voice to an oracle. [It’s found 5 times in 24th Chapter of Numbers 24: 3, 15, 20, 21, 23.]

 Then Balaam adds that it’s the utterance of man whose eye is true. It’s “the utterance of one who hears what God says, and knows what the Most High knows.” It’s from “one who sees what the Almighty sees.”

Well  if that is true, we better listen.

Today’s gospel - Matthew 21: 23-27 - doesn’t use the word “oracle” - but we have a scene where Jesus is questioned for his utterances - for his proclamations - but especially for what he is doing - which he often says - he heard from his Father - who is God.

WE CHRISTIANS

We Christians listen to this Jesus - we watch this Jesus - we do a lot of things in memory of Jesus.

For example this Meal, this Mass,  this moment, here in this church - is being done in memory of Jesus.

OUR RESPONSE

Our first response should be prayer!

Today’s Psalm response is from Psalm 25: “Teach me your ways, O Lord.”

That’s a great mantra - a great prayer. “Teach me your ways, O Lord.”

Today’s Psalm has us praying, “Your ways, O Lord, make known to me; teach me your paths. Guide me in truth and teach me, for you are my God and my savior.”

THREE RESPONSES TO PEOPLE WHO GIVE US ORACLES

In the history of the Church there have been lots of people speaking oracles - as if they were speaking for God.

Many of these are so called, “Private Revelations.”

Often I keep my mouth shut when people ask me about these so called, “Private Revelations.”

They often turn up and become very popular.

But if you ask me about them, I’d give these 3 responses.

First - Pray about them.

Secondly, ask questions about what is being said.

Don’t be scared to ask questions. Mary did?
Be like the Pharisees and ask questions about oracles, “By what authority are you saying these things.”

And often the one giving the revelation says that what they are saying comes from God.

There it is: they are giving us an oracle.

Give everything the litmus test. Does what a person is saying lead us to love the Lord our God, with our whole heart, mind, soul and strength - and love our neighbor as ourselves.

If someone is telling us this is God speaking and something seems wrong - and you disagree - don’t be scared to disagree - you’re not the first one.

There are lots of folks announcing this is God’s will - and at times I just keep quiet or I for one think inwardly, “I disagree!” or “I’m not that sure about what you are saying.”

The history of the church is a history of folks giving us “private revelations” and people accept everything as gospel truth.

Thirdly, use the Gamaliel principle. It’s found in the Acts of the Apostles - 5: 35-39. He uses it on this new revelation called, “Christianity.”

The Gamaliel Principle is this: Give an oracle time. Stall. Hesitate. If this is from God, then why fight God. If this is baloney, time will tell it’s baloney.

CONCLUSION


Oracles are tricky stuff. Listen carefully and say and pray, “Teach me o Lord, your ways.” Then see what fruit comes from the oracle.

No comments: