Tuesday, October 13, 2015

October 13, 2015

THE BIG CLIMB

God, Our Father, was just sitting
there in this big gigantic easy chair.
So I climbed up and got myself
on his lap and sat there face to face.
I had a lot of questions and I wanted
a lot of answers. I wanted to look God
in the eye. I’d even rub him nose to nose
to get him to laugh - but he was sleeping.
His eyes were closed. His face muscles
seemed as if he was made of marble.
I wanted, I needed, this meeting. I tried
to open his eye lids - wishing my hands
were pliers - but they wouldn’t open.
I even quoted Jesus, his son,
“Unless you’re like a little child you
won’t get into the kingdom of God.”
So I got down from his lap and looked
for Jesus - and yes, I finally found him
even though his disciples were trying
to shush me away. He picked me up
and told the world “This is the way
to enter the kingdom of heaven.”*

© Andy Costello, Reflections
by the Bay, 2015
*Cf. Matthew 18:1-4


No comments: