Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July 29, 2015


HOW DO I SEE LIFE?

Once upon a time I heard a preacher giving
a conference talk. He was saying he saw
life as a battle. Every day was warfare.
And, oh yes,  I started thinking, “Oh no!” 
He had his Bible and his quotes to do battle
with anyone who wanted to argue with him. [1]
I know I wanted to - but then that would only
prove his point. I wanted to say, “Why can’t
you taste those days when life is a delicious bowl of cherries, instead of concentrating on all your pits?”

For a time I was trapped in that war room,
but inwardly I realized I could go  AWOL:
Absence Without Official Leave. I could
retreat from his front line. I did. I could hear
his battle cries lessen as my mind wandered
out of that room and into the Coney Island
of my childhood or a funny game of rummy 
as an adult. I could be far from that battlefield
as he continued to argue and do battle with
some of his audience. Me?  I went into the hills
and the mountains with Jesus. He taught me
to look at the birds of the air and the flowers
of the fields - and to  enjoy sitting in the cool
of the evening with Lazarus and Mary while
their sister Martha grumbled inwardly about us
doing nothing but relaxing as she steamed 
up a supper for us in the kitchen. [2]


© Andy Costello Reflections, 2015

NOTES:

[1] Ephesians 6:10-17; 1 Corinthians 14: 8; Luke 14: 31-32

[2]  Today - July 29th, is the feast of St. Martha, so that's why I put this stuff in. Cf.  Luke 10: 38-42;  John 11: 1-44.

1 comment:

Mary joan said...

A " Battlefield " ?………I don't have the energy to participate in the " battles " of life .

Going with the flow, accepting the difficulties and letting go is so much easier . Putting it in God's hands always works in the long term .