Saturday, June 20, 2015

June 20, 2015


LONG WALKS AND LONG TALKS


Fathers and sons need to take long walks,
long talks - down dirt roads - or along the
water - talking about deep things - hopes
for the young - rememberings and regrets
for the old.  They need to do this - and do
this on a regular basis. Did Joseph and Jesus
do this? I don’t know. Did Adam and Cain do
this? I don’t know. All I know is that I regret
I didn’t do this enough with my dad - yet we
went to the park every Sunday afternoon
to give my mom a break. But I did do this
with my older brother - not walks - but long
talks in the front seats of cars - while just
driving along going nowhere - doing this up
to the year he died of cancer at 51 - way too
early - but glad we did. That’s something I
never regretted. Long talks help us get in
touch with what has been and what will be.

(c) Andy Costello, Reflections, Anonymous


No comments: