Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SOMETIMES, IT ALL DEPENDS
ON HOW WE SAY  IT! 

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this Tuesday in the Second Week in Lent is, “Sometimes, It All Depends on How We Say It!”

Many times when I read the scriptures, I find myself wincing.

For example, in today’s first reading from Isaiah 1:20, Isaiah has God saying, “But if you refuse and resist, the sword shall consume you….”

To me – evidently not to Isaiah – and others - God is going destroy, earthquake, zap people. I had the same experience when reading the Koran – there God is going to burn, burn, burn.

I wish the author would say his words – with blue cheese or soft melted butter – instead of with peppers and hot sauce – swords and stones.

I try to keep in mind the old saying, “A spoonful of honey will catch more flies than a barrel of vinegar.

OLD JOKE

When I hear some people communicating with those around them, at times I hope they would get the message from the old story about the two brothers and the cat.

Once upon time there were two bachelor brothers. One brother lived with mom who was  bedridden and he did everything for her. The other brother was a salesman. At least once a month – he’d be on the road – so he would bring his cat over to the house of his brother – the one who lived with mom in her old age –and this other brother would take care of the cat. – while his brother was away.

Every night – whenever he was away – he’d call his brother and ask how the cat and how mom were doing.

So on the first night of his trip from Maryland to Los Angeles he calls and says to his brother,  “How’s my cat doing?”

The brother in  Maryland says, “The cat died.”

Big pause.

Then the brother in Los Angeles says, “You don’t say  it like that.”

“Oh!  How should I say it?”

The brother in Los Angeles said, “Well, the first night and the first call you say, ‘The cat went up on the roof.’”

Pause.

Then the brother in Los Angeles continues, “Then the next night I call you, you say that the cat fell.” Then the next night I call you say, “The cat is not doing that well. Then the next night I call you say, ‘The cat is struggling.’  Then the next night when I call you calmly say, ‘The cat has passed away. Sorry!’”

“Oh,” says the brother in Maryland.”

Then the brother in Los Angeles says, “By the way, how’s mom?”

The brother in Maryland pauses a bit and then says, “Mom’s up on the roof.”

CONCLUSION

There’s different ways of saying what we want to say.

Wouldn’t it be great if we spoke with better respect and kindness to each other?

We’ve all noticed folks who are grouchers or complainers or downright abrasive when it come to how they talk to waiters or waitresses,


Wouldn’t it be nice if a husband and wife were having a conversation on the way to church – and one says to the other, “I was wondering about our kids. Maybe when they come next month – we don’t nag them about going to Church or what have you. Maybe we buy great bagels and make them a super breakfast and say nothing about going to church.  Maybe they pick up the beauty of the Mass from us. Amen

No comments: