Saturday, February 28, 2015


JUDGING  ONE’S  WEAVING

.
INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this Friday in the First Week of Lent is, “Judging One’s Weaving.”

I noticed in a Lenten Reflections book, an interesting comment by Jacques Maritain for this Friday of the First Week of Lent. [1]

In talking about judging each other, Maritain says that everyone judges everyone - more or less.

He adds people notice our limitations, deficiencies, errors. We all make mistakes. We are noticed. We are judged on our behaviors and our personalities.

He adds about others, “We can render judgment concerning ideas, truths, or errors; good of bad actions: character, temperament and what appears to be a person’s interior disposition.”

He’s saying we are judging others on a regular basis. We think things and then inside our brain say the following about others,  “That’s nice what he’s doing.” “That’s interesting what she’s wearing.” “That is smart.” “That is dumb.” “That’s crazy.” “That’s wonderful.” "Great move."

Then he adds this significant statement: “But we are utterly forbidden to judge the innermost heart, that inaccessible center where the person day after day weaves his or her own fate and ties the bonds binding him or her to God. When it comes to that, there is only one thing to do, and that is to trust in God. And that is precisely what love for our neighbor prompts us to do.”

Read that over and over again - just that quote - till you get it. It could lead to dropping the rocks we want to throw at others. [Cf. John 8: 1-11; Luke 6:36-38]

THE WEAVER 

That last comment led me to think about all the people – 95 % women – whom I see crocheting, knitting, with threads – cotton – or whatever they use - just sitting there on couches, corner chairs, benches, trains, planes, beaches, bleachers, working on their knitting projects.

That lead me to think about weavings and cloth covers on walls, chairs, baby blankets, and all sorts of crafts. We have all see all those works of art that are everywhere.

THE WEAVING

Then there is the weaving that is me.

I see some of it. God sees all of it.

It’s me. It’s my life. It’s my fate. It’s my destiny.

It’s the work of art that is me – with are my threads.

THE INNER ROOM WITH THE INNER ALTAR

In today’s gospel Jesus talks about an altar. That’s here in Matthew 5:20-26.  Later on in the Sermon on the Mount Jesus talks about an inner room – that nobody sees but us.  Following up on Jacques Maritain I like to imagine that inner room is like a little chapel and that’s where that altar is.

And going back to the weaving that is me forming me - I assume that one of the goals of Lent is to study that weaving – judging that weaving that is me.

So I’m assuming that’s where my weaving is – in that deep secret inner room that each of us has – where there is an altar.

CONCLUSION

Here we are at that altar this morning.

We come here and see that altar  - we come here to offer ourselves – our gifts – Christ – to God our Father – but we see these selfish designs and experiences – especially  stuff we don’t like about ourselves – especially a hurt – a disaster with our brother or sister that calls for forgiveness.

We deal with that during Mass – we make choices to love and forgive – then we come to the altar for more love and communion with everyone.

We do this knowing there is fullness of redemption with Christ. 

Amen.



NOTES



[1] Jacques Maritain, page 120, in A Lenten Sourcebook: The Forty Days, Book One, Ash Wednesday to the Monday of the Third Week of Lent, Edited by J. Robert Baker, Evelyn Kaehle, Peter Mazar, LTP Liturgy Training Publications

No comments: