Sunday, February 15, 2015

February 15, 2015

OFF  TO  THE  SIDE 


I prefer to be - off to the side - 
in the wings - a prompter - 
whispering out forgotten lines - 
in the play on stage.

I prefer to be - off to the side - 
the garbage dump - hidden 
by trees or hills or billboards - 
on the ugly edge of the city. 

I prefer to be off to the side - 
In the church - the confession box - 
along the edge wall of the church - 
it too - also being  - a garbage dump. 

I prefer to be off to the side - 
the person you turn to when 
you sin or hurt yourself or others -
and you feel all alone and an “Uh oh!”

I prefer to be the Lamb of God
who takes away the sins of
the world, the one who brings
mercy and forgiveness for all.

In reality, I prefer to be the Christ -
the one - in the midst of the mess -
hanging on the tree of the cross -
on top of the hill - for all in need.



© Andy Costello, Reflections by the Bay, 2015

No comments: