Tuesday, October 28, 2014

WELCOME! 
DOES  ANYONE  HERE 
KNOW ME  AND  MY  NAME?  



INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this feast of the Apostles – Simon and Jude – is, “Welcome! Does Anyone Here Know Me and My Name?”

That’s the theme that hit me from today’s readings.

The Gospel has Jesus calling 12 people by name.

They were nobodies till somebody named Jesus – called them by name.

This unknown God – this unknown person named Jesus - went up on a mountain in the night and prayed with his Father – all night  - and when day came he called his disciples around him and from them he chose 12 by name.

What was that like – to hear one’s name called – by Jesus?

What’s it like to hear Jesus call me by name? “Esther, Edith, Eileen, Evelyn, Eddie, Edgerton” or whatever our name is.

The First Reading from Ephesians says we are no longer strangers and sojourners – but we’re fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God.  We’re part of the structure – the temple built upon the Apostles and prophets – with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone.

And this temple – this church – is still being built. We’re still in process.

Not bad – we Christians are connected – well connected with each other – with Christ to cap us all off.

LONELY AND ALL  ALONE

Yet, in spite of all that, sometimes we feel all alone – not at home – out of sorts -  not connected with anyone – anyone at all. Honestly, that’s how we feel at times.

Loneliness is not being alone – but feeling all alone.

Sometimes a person can be all by herself or himself – and not feel lonely.

And as someone said, “Sometimes loneliness is being in a room full of people and not knowing or being know by any one of them.”

To some the most important part of Mass is communion.

To some that means it’s just me – myself – and I – and the bread – and the wine – and I don’t notice or know those in the benches – or on the line – or with me in community.

To some communion means being in community – to be in eyesight – [Spell:] EYESIGHT – as well as in I-sight –[Spell:]  I-SIGHT – as well as we-sight [Spell:] WE-SIGHT -   with the people right here with me in this church or in a room or house or work space. They know me by name and some even know me – and when I come to worship God – I come to be in communion with Jesus in the bread and in the body of the bodies with me here in church.

I’m not just – just another me – I’m a we.

I’m connected.

We are the Body of Christ – member with member – Amen!

A COUPLE

A couple told me once, “I’ve been in the parish 8 years now and no priest” – and then they added “Nobody ever really welcomed us.”

After that I try to say welcome from the pulpit and the parking lot – in the back of church and in the corridor.

Once I said “Welcome!” to one lady. “Uh oh!” It seemed she got ticked at me – as she said, “I’m been in this parish all my life.”

Sorry to say I hadn’t really seen her ever before.

That’s a lonely feeling when one thinks one just put one’s foot in one’s mouth – or one feels the other doesn’t know where one is coming from.

It’s nice to be known by name and by face – voice and wrinkles – eye or eye brows – smile or scowl - and even more by glimpses of one’s personality.

There’s an advantage to sitting in the same bench in church when one comes to pray – and comes for communion. There’s also an advantage in moving around and shaking hands in peace with those we don’t know.

Communion – community – connecting - connections – feeling at home is the greatest of one’s richnesses.

And the opposite can be true. As Mother Teresa once put it, “Loneliness is the most terrible poverty.”

CONCLUSION

Today is the feast of Saints Simon and Jude – two disciples of Jesus – called by him by name.

I don’t know about you – but I fail regularly in not knowing another’s name – as well as being welcoming.


I guess the challenge is to keep working on it and maybe someone who feels like a hopeless case – will finally feel at home with others – starting with us. Amen.

No comments: