Sunday, September 7, 2014

TICK TOCK,  TICK TOCK

Poem for Today - Sunday September 7, 2014



TIME PASSES

Once I was a boy and I sat in a meadow with flowers in it;
          I sat for hours in it,
Enjoying the sun and the brave birds in the heaven,
         When I was approximately seven.

Later I was a long and learned stripling,
         Reading Kipling,
And nothing I heard but the factory hooters blowing,
         While time was remorselessly flowing.

The hours they fly me by with astonishing celerity;
         I have not the temerity
To remember the hours that have gone by, unnumbered,
        While often I slumbered.

I have sat in the pubs and seen the rings of froth on the glasses,
         And thought to myself, Time passes.
They brought me a pint of mild, but I asked for bitter,
         Thinking it fitter.

For life, as it lumbers by, unwieldily hastening,
          Is a matter most chastening;
Too seldom have we laughed in the morning with the larks on the mountain,
          Or leaned on the fountain

Watching the waves and the neat-clad ducks in a huddle,
          Or, kneeling beside a puddle,
Beheld the leather-legged insects jumping in jubilation
          Or pausing in sudden indignation;

It is a strange error that keeps us such things ignoring,
          In studies insensately snoring,
While the hands of the rude, insatiate clock
          Go tick, tock, tick, tock.



© R. P. Lister
The New Yorker
Book of Poems,
1974,
page 729.



No comments: