Friday, July 4, 2014

WHO ME?

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 13 Friday in Ordinary Time is, “Who Me?”

MAD MAGAZINE

I’m sure some remember Mad Magazine starting in the 1950’s and their picture of Alfred E. Neuman and his words, “What? Me Worry?”





There he is - this scrawny freckled face kid with big ears – a missing front tooth – and one eye lower than the other eye – but he does have a smile on his face.

What? Me Worry?

I always liked that picture. It was a picture that appeared on greeting cards – t-shirts – cartoons of Alfred up there on Mount Rushmore – or running for president – etc. etc. etc.

I also liked that Mad Magazine character – because I see him representing every person – every me everywhere.

EVERY PERSON COUNTS

I liked St. Mary’s Parish and Schools' theme and motto for this past year: “Every Person Counts.”

It was a theme found in the comments of Pope Francis.

We got good mileage out of that theme - and I heard from teachers and staff in both our schools - that kids showed more respect to each other this past year.

"Every Person Counts."

Alfred E. Neuman counts. I count. You count.

The title of my homily is, “Who Me?”

Yep, me, I count.

Yes me? 

Little old me.

Who Me? 

Yes me. Well if I count -  then based  on that - should follow the comment, "What Me Worry?

TODAY’S GOSPEL

Today’s gospel - Matthew 9: 9-13 - has the famous scene of the call of Matthew.

When I read about  this call in today’s gospel from Matthew - I thought of all kinds of things – starting with the “Who me?” question we all make when we hear someone calling us – followed by Alfred E. Neuman’s “What me? Worry?' slogan.

As I read the gospels, I hear Jesus seeing good in every person – especially people others didn’t think counted – the beggar on the street – the little children – the Alfred E. Neuman’s of the world – as well as the tax collectors – and all those people who tax all the other people in the world – and drain them.

Who counts? 

Everyone.


Who counts? 

Jesus does.  He counted 99 - but wait a mintue - one is missing - so as a Good Shepherd - he went looking for that one lost sheep.

Jesus does. He counted 1 person with leprosy - who was healed - and came back to say, "Thank you!" - but where are the other 9?"

Jesus does. She lost 1 coin - had the other 9 - but went crazy till she found her 1 lost coin.

Jesus does. The Prodigal Son came home - but where is that older brother of mine? Why wouldn't he come to the banquet for his lost brother. He counts. 

Wait a minute.... Which brother are you talking about here?

Both - both count.
CARAVAGGIO'S MATTHEW - THE COIN COUNTER

I think of a day – just one day in Rome – 2 years ago – and I was with two wonderful old ladies – Winnie and Mary - who were part of the cruise I was on. 


We spotted this Church  - about 2 1/2 streets away from the Piazza Navone with its Fontana dei Quatro Fiumi - the Fountain of the Four Rivers - by Bernini. 




The church we spotted was – San Luigi dei Francesi Church – just one more of the hundreds of churches one counts in Rome.


Surprise! Inside it had 3 Caravaggio’s. I was especially moved by his painting, “The Calling of Saint Matthew.”


There’s Jesus pointing at Matthew – and there’s Matthew at this table in this tavern – pointing at himself – as if to say, “Who Me?” or “What me?”


 Surprise!

“Yes” Jesus is pointing at Matthew and calling Matthew.

"You count coins Matthew, well I have a friend who counts fish - and who now counts people. And I'm calling on you. I'm counting on you  - to also stop counting coins and to start reaching out to all sorts of people - and let them know, "They count!"

“Who me?” Isn’t that what all of us would say if we heard Jesus calling us.

“What me? A sinner and a tax collector! You’re calling me a tax collector?”

“Should I worry?”

Matthew stands up – leaves everything – and follows Christ.

In celebration the throws a dinner that night at his house – inviting Jesus and all his friends.

And the self-righteous – can’t believe this. How could Jesus eat with tax collectors and sinners. They don’t count for nothing.

And Jesus makes his famous comment. “Who needs a doctor? Healthy people don’t. It’s the sick ones who count – when it comes to me.”

ATTITUDE

In this homily I am stressing that every person counts.

In this homily I am stressing that God is aware of every person.

In this homily I am stressing that we should worry about every person – especially the great unwashed and the great unknowns and the ignored and those nobody thinks matters.

An overflow from this type of attitude is that we respect all people. If we have that respect for all folks, we’ll pay attention to the waiter or waitress, the check-out lady at the supermarket – the old person or the little person – the stranger and the strange rangers of our world.

THADDEUS HUBL

We read out at supper time at St. Mary’s the deceased Redemptorists whose anniversary is the next day.

Today in 1807 a Redemptorist named Thaddeus Hubl died in Warsaw, Poland. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be here today. He’s part our story. He and a guy named Clement Hofbauer were studying in Vienna, Austria with the idea of becoming priests.

Well, when the government changed the requirements for students that they needed 6 years of studies, these 2 headed for Rome – with the idea of maybe becoming priests down there. They heard the sound of church bells from San Giuliano’s church in Rome and they went there with the idea of going to Mass. It was simply a call for community prayer.

Well, they were impressed with the priests and brothers and expressed interest in joining. They were handed an application – but only Clement signed immediately. 24 hours later Thaddeus Hubl signed. They made a 5 month novitiate – then they made their vows – and were ordained priests 10 days later and they sent back over the Alps to start the Redemptorists there.

Vienna didn’t work – so they tried Warsaw, Poland – where they had some success – especially at our Redemptorist starting place: St. Benno’s Warsaw.

In time they ran into trouble with the government and hostile forces to what they were doing. In 1807 Thaddeus Hubl was beaten up and died at the age of 47.

I tell this story – because they both matter in my story – also being a Redemptorist. If they hadn’t answered that bell call – if they hadn’t gone down to Rome – if they weren’t ordained – then we would never come to America – because this was the group that sent Redemptorists to America in 1832. .

CONCLUSION

The moral of the story is that every person counts – every person is called to become a great human being.

Who me? Yes.

What me? Worry – about all this.


Yes – if we answer that call from God.

No comments: