Monday, June 2, 2014

WHAT  LITTLE  CHILDREN  
CAN  TEACH  US 



INTRODUCTION

The title of my talk is, “What Little Children Can Teach Us.”

GOSPEL READING

Let me begin with a gospel reading from Mark 10:13-16:

“Some people brought children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples scolded the people. When Jesus noticed this, he was angry and said to his disciples, ‘Let the children come to me, and do not stop them, because the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I assure you that  whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.’  Then he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on each of them, and blessed them.”

TEACHERS

When we hear the word “teacher” we think of teachers we’ve had in school – a 4th grade teacher – a math teacher – a science teacher – a religion teacher.

When I hear the word “teacher” -  as an old man  – I think not just of school teachers – but also people I  have met along the way – someone who taught us so much.

I noticed in the paper the other day a story about a man who owns his own company. He was asked where he learned what he learned – and what was his most important lesson or learning experience in life

He told about his first job. He saw the boss and asked him what was the greatest thing he learned in working his way up the ladder in the company.

The owner said, “Okay. Look around and pick out someone who is sharp and ask that person to be your mentor.”

The young man said, “Okay, I want you to be my mentor.”

The boss was surprised – smiled – and said, “Okay. Be here in my office first thing Thursday morning.”  And they met first thing every Thursday morning and talked about work and life and what he saw was going on.

CHILDREN

Jesus is saying in this gospel story or gospel moment – to learn from little children.

Father Joe Krastel likes to say that the oldest girl in many a family with a few other kids – ends up automatically being a second mother and learns an awful lot about raising kids herself.

Parents in raising a child learn an awful lot about life from raising their  kid.

Up till having a child – a baby – a husband and a wife – can be quite independent. Then with a new born baby – they have to sacrifice – change their plans – change diapers – change their sleep patterns – all because of this new born baby.

Then if their kids go to a Catholic school here in Maryland they have to figure out a way to get them to school. Other states, like Pennsylvania, Catholic school kids can take the yellow school bus.

Then parents have to worry about their kids as teenagers, especially.

It’s not good being a helicopter parent  - hovering over one’s kids.  For kids to grow – parents have to let go.  At the same time they have to keep watch over their kids and serve them.

Then there is the cost of school – learning the price of a good education – doing that for one’s kids – they hope their kids are prepared for life.

LITTLE KIDS AS TEACHERS

Once upon a time – years and years ago - I got a paper cut. It was a tiny cut on my finger. Probably the only time in my life –  I put a band aid on my finger – a tan colored – skin colored – Band-Aid – over the cut. I’m sitting on the couch at my niece’s house and my little grandnephew from the other side of room – gets off his chair and walks across the room and takes my finger and says, “Boo boo – hurts?”

Why do I remember that moment  all these years?

That little kid was teaching me something.

Somehow little children – and sometimes dogs – know when someone is hurting – and nobody else knows.

I remember praying afterwards, “Lord, let me be like my grandnephew Patrick and be able to spot who’s hurting – across the room – across the planet.”

We can learn so much from little kids.

A little kid – Declan Matthew – was baptized in this church yesterday afternoon at 3 PM. He was 1 years old – so he could walk. But all through the baptism ceremony he was watching everything – his head kept turning. And he was constantly pointing at things – the altar – the ceiling – the stained glass windows.

I remembered hearing in a talk once that the first word many little kids says is, “Dat…. Dat!”  It’s a Sanskrit word – the oldest language on earth – and it means, “That – Look at that!”

CONCLUSION

Jesus saw everything and everyone. He said see the birds of the air and the flowers of the field. He knew when someone was hurting and when someone was angry.

He taught us to see – hear – feel – touch.


That’s why Jesus was called the great teacher. 

The world is a classroom - better a school.

The world is filled with teachers - some who have that title - but many who don't.

If we're willing to learn - we'll see a lot more than those who have closed their eyes and ears and minds a long time ago. 

It's an honor to be alive and to learn.

It's an honor to be known as someone who is a learner.

It's an honor to be with you this afternoon - at this awards ceremony - honoring students here at St. Mary's - who have excelled in so many different ways. Amen. 

No comments: