Thursday, May 1, 2014

UNBEARABLE SILENCE 
OF GOD

Poem for May 1, 2014



PROSE POEM

I look at you in helpless silence, incapable of doing a thing for you. In the middle of the white-washed walls of the hospital ward you lie, groaning quietly in the dark abyss of pain.  Only a miracle can bring you some relief. I have nothing to offer, but a prayer.  All my prayers reach the Almighty, an attempt I shall make.  I am trying to shake off His unbearable silence.  Desolation and numbness in your eyes drive me crazy and as I leave the ward quietly, I hear the footsteps of death. I want to cut off my ears to block their sound.  But will that delay the advent of death?  From your voicelessness before death, I move toward your silence after death – and I do not even want to feel angry or shed tears at my helplessness.

Suresh Parshottamdas Dalal.
Translated from the Gujarati
 by Bhadra Patel-Vadgama.
 © 1996, by the Poetry Translation
 Center Workshop I found this
on  page 505  in Language 
For a New Century,
 Contemporary Poetry from
 the Middle East, Asia And Beyond,
editor Tina Chang, Nathalie Handal
and Ravi Shannkar.


Painting on top: Hospital Ward 
by Edvard Munch.

No comments: