Thursday, April 17, 2014

ENCIRCLED BY JESUS

Poem for April 17, 2014 - Holy Thursday



JESUS THE ENCOMPASSER

Jesu!  Only-begotten Son and Lamb

          of God the Father,
Thou didst give the wine-blood of Thy body 
          to buy me from the grave.
My Christ! my Christ! my shield, my encircler,
Each day, each night, each light, each dark;
       My Christ! my Christ!! my shield, my encircler,
       Each day, each night, each light, each dark.

Be near me, in my standing, in my watching,

           in my sleeping.

Jesu, Son of Mary! my helper, my encircler,

Jesus Son of David! my strength everlasting;
       Jesu, Son of Mary! my helper, my encircler,
       Jesu, Son of David! my strength everlasting.



Prayer poem, page 168, 
in The Celtic Vision,
Prayers and Blessings
from the Outer Hebrides
edited by Esther de Waal

No comments: