Thursday, April 3, 2014

DREAMS AND DESIRES

Poem for Today - April 3, 2014


DREAM OF KNIVES


for Ric de Ungria

Last night I dreamt of a knife
I had bought for my son. Of rare dagger
with fancily rounded pommel, and a wooden sheath
which miraculously revealed other, miniature blades.

Oh how pleased he would be upon my return

from this journey, I thought. What rapture
will surely adorn his ten-year princeling's face
when he draws the gift for the first time. What quivering
pleasure will most certainly be unleashed.

When I awoke, there was no return, no journey,

no gift, and no son beside me. Where do I search
for this knife then, and when do I begin to draw
happiness from reality? And why do I bleed so 
from such sharp points of dreams.

Alfred A.Yuson
from Dream of Knives
 and Mothers Like Elephants 
Selected Poems and New 
(Anvil Publishing)
 Copyright (c) 1986, 
by Alfred A. Yuson

No comments: