Monday, March 3, 2014


RUNNING NOSE PRAYER

Lord,
my nose is running.
Slow sliding stuff,
sliding like Vesuvius -
down from my left nostril.
Uuuuuh! I assume it’s ugly -
like some of my life.
I can feel it  - but I can’t see it -
like so much of my life.
Forgot my handkerchief.
Can’t find a tissue.
Now what, Lord? Now what?
Oh my God, I’m 74 -
yet I’m hoping for more.
No - not the leakage or its
opposite - a clogged nose
or a clogged life - but to
breathe freely a lot more life.
Death? - Lord.  - Nope.  - Not yet.
Lord, my nose is running
and I’m still running and
I thank you for that and 
for a lot more than that. Amen.

© Andy Costello, Prayers, 2014


This is my 3000 piece on this Blog. I noticed # 1000 was also a prayer, so I’m happy to do the same for #3000. This prayer I thought should be more humbling. Notice I didn’t use the word “snot, ” but I was tempted. Never saw a prayer yet with that word in it.

No comments: