Friday, March 21, 2014

BLESSED ARE 
THE POOR IN SPIRIT

Poem for Today - March 21, 2014




OH, TO BE SO  POOR

She lived life out of a wheelchair.
Barely hearing. Almost blind.
At worship today
Christ's Supper was offered to her,

but she thought the plate of broken bread
was the offering plate.
Bewildered, she said a bit too loud,

"I don't have anything to give."
Poor woman, they all thought.
Not so.
Through any disorientation, we have everything
in the Christ who gives his life for us.
Through our deafness, he hears for us.
Through our blindness, he sees for us.
Through our trembling hands, he will take

the bread and cup for us.
We hear Christ's words:
            Let not your heart be troubled.
            I will hold it.

            I will feed you.
            I will drink the cup for you.

            I will fill you.
            I will be your world.
Oh, to be so poor.



(c) Robert W. Guffey, Jr.

No comments: