Tuesday, February 11, 2014

PUTTING YOUR 
HEART INTO IT!


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 5th Tuesday in Ordinary Time is, “Putting Your Heart Into It.”

I like to look at and be reminded of the issue of being real and not mechanical - or robotic - when it comes to living life - and living it to the full. 

It’s difficult to do this.

The first couple of years of marriage or on the job - yes - but after that - difficult.

Yet we can get through a lot when we put things on automatic pilot.

However, as a result we can miss each other like ships or planes passing each other in the night.

I see Christ right here in the middle of this issue of functionalism vs. personalism.

When talking about Christ and Eucharist we use two phrases at times: real presence and holy communion.

How about applying those 2  terms - not only how we are with Christ in communion - but how we are in Christ with each other in reality. Now that’s a very difficult transubstantiation.

TODAY’S READINGS

Today’s readings trigger this theme for me when it comes to worship.

There’s Solomon in today’s first reading from 1st Kings. Israel finally has a temple. Solomon, the king, is standing at the altar leading the worship. I noticed that the Bible commentaries on all this say  the king was both priest and king on solemn occasions. [1 Kings 8:22-23,, 27-30]

I hear Solomon praying the prayer in today’s first reading - with full presence - tight  intent - communion with both God and the people. At least that’s the ideal - and it’s good to have ideals in mind - especially when it comes to praying with the heart.

I don’t know about you - but I know it when I’m present and when I’m absent when I say Mass - and that’s why I’m want to preach on this today. It’s a reminder and I need reminders.

I hear Jesus getting right at this theme in today’s gospel - when he says, “These people honor me with their lips - but their hearts are far from me.” He says the Pharisees and the Scribes are into externals - traditions - lip syncing life - and using the laws to their own benefit - like putting money in the collection boxes in the temple as a way of not putting money into their parents hands and care.[Mark 7:1-13]

NO, NO NANETTE

On this topic, on this point, I am often reminded of a moment on Broadway - when I went with a whole retreat house staff to see a revival of the musical, No, No, Nanette. We had horrible seats at a Wednesday afternoon matinee. We were off to the side - up in those little balconies - and we could only see the front of the stage.

Surprise, we had a perfect view of the orchestra pit. Surprise - I got a reminder for life on what not to do - when reading the readings at Mass or saying the prayers at Mass. A violinist - had on his music stand - not the music - but The New York Daily News - and that’s what he read while playing flawlessly the music score of No No Nanette.

That’s what I mean by being on automatic pilot.  That’s what I mean by not putting our heart into it. That’s what I mean by not giving another real presence - and not being in Holy Communion with each other. 

CONCLUSION

Let me close this homily entitled, “Putting Your Heart Into It” with an example that  I read somewhere along the line. I also try to keep this story in mind  not only when I’m celebrating Mass but also when I’m sitting with just one person.

In a locked section of a psych ward somewhere on the planet was this lady who hadn’t said a word in 5 years. They would walk her around - feed her - sit her - but she was catatonic. I can relate to this because I’m also aware that this can happen during sermons. One sees a lot from up here.

Well, this lady was sitting -  looking out a big window into a field in front of her. Every week a psychiatrist would come in and sit next to her - sometimes hold her hand - but basically he would just sit there with her in silence for 5 minutes.

Well this one morning he comes in and says his regular, “Hi Mrs. X.” He sits down next to her with a cup of coffee or tea in hand.

She sits there staring into space.


Well, the Doctor starts thinking about what he’s going to have for lunch or his plans for the weekend and the lady turns to him and says, “Please don’t leave me like that.” 


OOOOO

Painting on top: Solomon Dedicating the Temple in Jerusalem - by James Tissot or follower, [c.1896-1902]

No comments: