Thursday, January 30, 2014

BITTERNESS

Poem for Today - January 30, 2014



A BITTERNESS

I believe you did not have a happy life.
I believe you were cheated.
I believe your best friends were loneliness and misery.
I believe your busiest enemies were anger and depression.
I believe joy was a game you could never play 
        without stumbling.
I believe comfort, though you craved it, was forever 
        a stranger.
I believe music had to be melancholy or not at all.
I believe no trinket, no precious metal, shone so bright
as your bitterness.
I believe you lay down at last in your coffin none 
       the wiser and unassuaged.
Oh, cold and dreamless under the wild, amoral, reckless,
peaceful flowers of the hillsides.


© Mary Oliver, page 43
in New and Selected Poems,

Volume One, Beacon Press,


Boston, 1992

Questions: 

Did Mary Oliver think this as a silent eulogy for someone she knew - and died?

If this were me - and I read this - what would I do next? 

Does this sound true for someone you know? I've lived with priests who fit the description of the person in this piece - and I didn't know what to do. I felt very  sad. Wooooooo! I often wondered, "What happened to them that they turned out like this?"


No comments: