Saturday, October 19, 2013

FAITH AND LAW

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 28 Saturday in Ordinary Time is, “Faith and Law.”

ROMANS

As we know we’re going through the Book of Romans in these weekday Masses as our First Reading. As we know questions of the Law are central to St. Paul. It’s going to culminate especially in Chapter 7 - but the reality of “the Law” pops up over and over again in Romans and much of Paul - as well as in the gospels - with Jesus and his struggles with the Pharisees.

Today’s First Reading begins: “Brothers and sisters: It was not through the law that the promise was made to Abraham and his descendents that he would inherit the world, but through the righteousness that comes from faith.”

When Paul was Saul he was furious with Christians because they were not keeping the Law. His goal was to arrest and eradicate them. Paul could be righteous to the zenith - because he thought he was right. Aren’t we all? Then he fell on his face and discovered Jesus in his blindness.

TITLE OF MY HOMILY

The title of my homily is, “Faith and Law.”

I was going to entitle it, “Faith or Law.”

I used “and” instead if “or: because I would assume that we begin with the law and then move to stronger motives: like that of faith and hope and charity.

I would assume that we teach kids  rules - without giving reasons - before they reach the age of reason.

We use the word “no” - to kids - as to not touching knives or hot things - or going too near the street - where cars can come flying by.

I assume we need laws - traffic laws - clean air and food laws - and rules and regulations to make life work smoothly.

But then I assume that somewhere along the line - when it comes to religion and God - we move from Law to Faith.

Recently someone said to me that they never liked the phrase, “Holy Day of Obligation” - but wished it was “Holy Day of Celebration.”

With so many people dropping out of Sunday Mass - I’ve heard statistics like 32 to 38% now go to Sunday Mass. Are there any statistics of people coming back - not because of the Sunday Mass obligation - but rather the Sunday Mass Celebration?

Question: Do I do what I do out of law or duty - or out of love and joy?

Haven’t we winced at the comment: “Of course I love you. I’m married to you.” Wouldn’t we celebrate each time a spouse said: “I love you!”

I became a Redemptorist to become a missionary in Brazil - but never got that assignment. I’ve heard of a  Redemptorist who spent his whole life being bitter - because he wanted to become a professor in the seminary - and instead he was sent to Brazil - and complained his way out of there - till he got reassigned to the States.

So the question: “Life: what is my central motivation? Duty, Law, Have to, or Love, Celebration, Want to?”

I’ve read about baseball players who were doing well - then get traded - and they do horrible - on their next team - then they get traded again - to a new team and they flourish. A reporter digs into the player’s life and we find out, he was angry and depressed - because he just couldn’t play for that second team - in the second city - not even out of duty or contract.

ISAAC JOGUES - AND THE NORTH AMERICAN MARTYRS

 Today we celebrate the feast of St. Isaac Jogues and the North American Martyrs - who came to North America - and served the Native Americans with great passion and dedication. 

We all remember hearing as kids how St. Isaac Jogues was tortured, freed by the Dutch, went back to France and then couldn’t wait to come back and continue his ministry or preaching about the love of Christ to the people here. He wasn’t here out of Law and Duty - but out of love.

So too all of us here at a Daily Mass of Celebration - not obligation. Amen.


No comments: