Saturday, September 28, 2013

I - THOU, O GOD! 
OR 
I - IT, O GOD!




Quote for Today - September 28, 2013

"One of the silliest of all discussions is the question whether God is personal - it would be more useful to inquire whether ice is frozen."

Austin Farrer, Saving Belief, Hodder and Stoughton 1964

Comments: 

How do you take the quote above and where does it take you?

If you haven't read Martin Buber's book, I And Thou, yet, get thee to a book store or the library.  [I and Thou, Charles Scribner's Sons, New York,1958.] In my copy of Buber's book, I wrote the following just inside the front cover, "Martin Buber's doctrine may perhaps be summarized in this sentence: 'I-thou can only be uttered with the whole of our being; I-it can never be uttered with the whole of our being.'"  from Sven Stolpe, Dag Hammarskjold, A Spiritual Portrait, (New York: Scribner's, 1966) p, 44

No comments: