Sunday, July 21, 2013

REDEMPTION: 
SISTERS  AND  BROTHERS -
BECOMING MY  BETTER SELF


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time C is, “Redemption: Sisters and Brothers - Becoming  My Better Self.”

Today we Redemptorists - the community that serves this parish of St. Mary's - celebrate the feast of the Most Holy Redeemer.

Every year when we come to this feast - usually the 3rd Sunday in July - we have different readings - and I like that - because it’s a creative challenge to find the theme of redemption in any reading from the Bible.

A possible theme from today's readings is: Redemption: Sisters and Brothers - Becoming My Better Self.

TODAY’S  GOSPEL

In today’s gospel from Luke 10: 38-42 we have the story of two sisters: Martha and Mary.

Coupling that with the theme of redemption - I began to think about a basic place - where redemption ought to happen. It's in the family - with sisters - then I added in my brain - brothers. 

Looking at my own life, I lucked out - having two sisters and one brother.

Even if one is an only child - one can deal with sibling rivalry and what have you struggles at times. Most of us have experienced sister with sister issues and brother with brother issues.  An only child might marry someone from a big family. How does that impact their marriage? An only child goes to a Thanksgiving or a summer family get together with cousins - what’s that like - what’s going on? 

The one big area that I’ve never grasped is that of the mystery of twins.  I wonder about that - especially on high school retreats - when there are twins present. What’s that like to grow up a twin - and the lifetime after that?

Today’s gospel triggers thoughts about the difference in personalities between two sisters. Martha is the go to gal. Mary is the laid back type. Martha is angry that Mary is spaced out - sitting there entranced by Jesus - while Martha feels she is stuck having to do all the work.

What is it like  or what was in like, in your family, when it came time to host a party - or a cook out - or do dishes - or shopping - or clean the house - or get the garbage out or what have you?  Who did what? Who didn't do what?  What triggered the common complaint: "It ain't fair!"

COME TO THINK ABOUT IT….

When people hear the Martha Mary story - what do people think about?

I’ve heard lots of people say: "You can say what you say Jesus - that Mary chose the best part - but did you enjoy the dinner? Did you thank Martha for the great  olive dish - or lamb stew - or delicious bread? Didn’t you wash feet at a dinner? Didn’t you praise serving as opposed to being served?"

Come to think about it ….

When do people think about how they are coming across as a person - as a brother or a sister? At every dinner - at every family get together - we can spot different types. 

Yet spotting is not enough.

What am I like? Sit back quiet type? Workaholic? Can I get you something to drink type? Good listener? Doing all the talking? Looking at one’s watch or cell phone to get the time? Always on one’s Smartphone?

Come to think about it …. what am I like?

If I see others and see stuff I don’t like about them - do I ever stop to look in the mirror and see what I am like? 

How do others see me? Do they want me to change? Do I empty the dishwasher? Do I pick up after me? Do I say, “Thank you!” Do I go over to the person who seems all alone?

Come to think about it …. we've all heard today's gospel story about Martha and Mary. Which of the two am I more like? Ask those you live with, who in our family is more like Mary? Who’s more like Martha?

TODAY'S FIRST READING

Come to think about it …. we also heard the story of Abraham and Sarah in today’s first reading from Genesis 18: 1-10a. 

How good am I, how good are we, at hospitality?  

When 3 strangers show up on a hot day - a day that was getting hotter - Abraham runs from the entrance of his tent to greet them - bow to them - invite them to stop for some water - to bathe their feet - to rest under a tree - and to have some food. 

When they say, “Yes,” Abraham runs to his tent, opens it, tells Sarah to grab some flour and quickly make some rolls - and then he runs to the herd and picks a choice steer and prepares a cook out - and also gets some milk - and then Abraham waits on them.  

In Middle East cultural practices, Sarah stays in the tent, but one of the 3 strangers gives them the ancient blessing: "By the time they come back this time next year, Sarah will have a son.”

Come to think about it - how good are we as a couple or a family when guests show up at our house?

Come to think about it - do couples, do families, see how other families do life - do celebrations - do visits - do hospitality - and change for the even better? How can I / we improve?

REDEMPTION

Redemption is about getting better….

Redemption - being redeemed - starting again - a fresh start - new life - is a good theme to think about - and hope for.

Redemption is about before and after - the after being better than the before.

Redemption is about change and growth and conversion - and improvement.

Isn’t that one reason kids go to these summer camps?

I saw the St. Mary’s Kids’ Music and Dance Show on Friday evening - where the kids got on stage and did what they practiced all week in Music and Dance camp. The hope is that kids come up with skills and interests - and the ability to be on stage. 

One part I loved was that at least 75 kids got to speak into a hand held microphone and make a short comment. They are on their way - to read at Mass - to recite a poem at a grandmother’s funeral - to be on the debating team in high school - to run for a class office or a public office - to try out for a play.

There are summer camps for soccer and lacrosse - even math camps - but I was wondering if there were any camps for being a better brother and sister? Or does every camp actually get to that?

Hopefully a reading at Mass triggers such questions?

CONCLUSION: THE PRICE

I remember seeing a play by Arthur Miller, The Price, on stage on Broadway. It triggered for me wonderings about my relationship with my brother - which was a good one - he being the oldest - I being the youngest.  I was grateful that we took time to be with each other - whereas in the play, the two brothers hadn’t talked to each other in 16 years. Victor took care of his dad - who fell apart after the Depression - whereas Walter didn’t - spending his time becoming a successful surgeon.

However, that play, The Price, also triggered for me an appreciation of my sister Mary who took care of our parents all her life - along with her marriage and family - but my brother and sister and I left home and basically didn’t take care of and be with our mom and dad. That play reminded me of the price my sister Mary played to do that and it reminded me to say, “Thank you” to her big time - many times.

Seeing a play like The Price or seeing Shakespeare’s play, King Lear holds a mirror up for all of us to see our true nature. The many stories in the scriptures that feature differences between brothers and sisters do the same. Check out: Cain and Abel, Ishmael and Isaac, Esau and Jacob, Leah and Rachel, Joseph and his brothers, the Prodigal Son and his older brother, and Martha and Mary.


However, seeing is not enough. Like going to a camp, we have to put into practice what we learned. The price of Redemption is practice -practice, practice, practice -  dying to oneself - paying the price to become my better self - a better brother or sister. Amen.

No comments: