Sunday, June 23, 2013

“BUT WHO DO YOU SAY
THAT I AM?”


INTRODUCTION


The title of my homily for this 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time C is, “But Who Do You Say That I Am?”

Jesus asks his disciples that question in today’s gospel.

The question shows up in Matthew and Mark as well - so we hear this question and sermons on this question many times through the years.

SOLITUDE: TAKE IT TO PRAYER

Luke begins today’s gospel with Jesus praying in solitude.

Yesterday Bishop Mitch Rozanski confirmed 142 of our young people in our Catholic Christian faith in a ceremony here at 9 AM and another at 1 PM. I was telling someone about this after a baptism yesterday evening and the parent of this teenager present said to their kid, “We got to get you into the religious education program so you can make your confirmation.” And the teenager said, “I want the right to choose my own faith.”

Last night - after the day - I found myself thinking about those two moments. Bishop Mitch said to the young people that most of you were just little babies - when someone - your parents and god-parents - stood up for you - and pronounced the promises of baptism for you. Then he said clearly, “Today you are making that decision on your own.”

Bishop Mitch had 4 points in his sermon - 4 things Christians do. The first was prayer. He even used the word “solitude” - the word we heard in the first sentence in today’s gospel. “Once when Jesus was praying in solitude, and the disciples were with him, he asked them, ‘Who do the crowds say that I am?’”

I had a great seat right over there [point] and I could watch the Bishop preaching as well as the faces of the young people to be confirmed as well as the faces of their sponsors.

Yesterday, as I sat there in solitude - in the midst of a 4/5 full church - I too was asking questions.

What was going on in the minds of these young people right now? What were their parents and sponsors thinking? Do these young people ever turn it all off - and just sit there in solitude? What would it be like if their mom or dad walked into a room and their kid was just sitting there in the semi-darkness - and their parent said, “Oh, oops, I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were here by yourself. [Pause for a second thought and question.] What are you doing?” And the kid simply says, “Oh just thinking. Just praying.”

If a kid said that, what would happen next in the mind of that mom or dad? Would they mention the surprise of it to their spouse that night when alone? Would one say to someone else on the phone, “You’re not going to believe this. I walked into the garage or back porch or cellar or living room and my daughter or son was just sitting there - all alone - quiet - and I asked her or him - what they were doing and they said, ‘Oh just praying!’”

The bishop asked those 142 kids to practice solitude or quiet - and to pray - in the midst of this noisy and busy world. He also talked about service and witness and practicing our faith.

I found myself only thinking about that first message - that of taking time out from time to time - to be quiet, - to experience solitude, to just quietly be in that space - to pray. I wondered if any of those 142 kids heard that - would do that - of if they already do that.

Or do we all do that all the time - maybe not specifically - as in saying to ourselves, “Now I’m going to sit here in the living room - in this quiet corner - and think and pray.” But do we all go into ourselves - and do some deep thinking - in some quiet corner in our mind - while being in the midst of noise and family dinners or boring church services or car rides - or while watching or playing a game?

IF WE DO THAT - WE COME UP WITH BIG QUESTIONS

> If we do that, we come up with questions - sometimes big questions.

I noticed that teenager - who when his parent said, “We got to get into a confirmation program - so you can do that next year,” - the one who said, “I want the right to choose my faith.” I noticed him sitting off to the side last evening - by himself - just looking into the sky - seeing the big moon rising. What was he thinking? What was going on in his solitude? What were his questions?

Jesus asks two questions in today’s gospels: First, “Who do the crowds say that I am?” Second, “But who do you say that I am?”

In solitude I began wondering about those 2 questions.

Did I ever ask and try to answer them of myself? Did I ever ask and try to answer them of others? Did I ever ask and answer them of Jesus? Did I ever ask and try to answer to them of God?

For starters I’ve asked those two questions of others - many times.

On Friday someone told me that I have to read a big long article in Sunday’s New York Times Magazine about last year’s presidential election. I looked it up this morning. It’s entitled, “Is Selling a President Any Different from Selling a Pizza?”

I plan to read that article this afternoon. I have always been fascinated and wonder about perception and reality. I have often found myself getting frustrated when some says what another person is like. I’m of the: “Other people are complicated” school.

I think we all need to start with ourselves - and in the meanwhile - with others - trying to calmly figure ourselves out - as well as our parents and spouse if married - as well as family members. We can begin with the first question. How am I coming across? Who am I? The first American question is: Where are you from? As we drive along or are at boring meetings or long lines or in traffic jams, we can ponder about how where we come from has made us who we are. City, rural, big family, little family, only child, oldest, youngest, middle child, divorce, deaths, money, lack of money, schooling, friendships, interests, marks, what have you. The next American question after “Where are you from?” is “What do you do?” Mom, dad, student, engineer, nurse, mechanic, gardener, sailor, waiter, waitress….

Those questions and answers are out there questions and answers, but Jesus’ second question is the deeper one: “But who do you say I am?”

Ginny Dauses on many St. Mary’s High School retreats asks the kids to answer that question - the identity question - in a dozen different ways. She wants kids to see that they are not their masks or their externals. Who’s the me inside me?

he best suggestion I have heard for this second question is the 25 I AM statement test. Simply get 25 pieces of paper or use your computer and list 25 answers to that the I AM ______ [fill in the blank] questionnaire. It used to be 10 - but I have found that after 15 we might start to put down some answers that are close to the vest.

The beauty of this 25 I AM statement test is that we can revise it - add and change it.

If married, it’s a great move to ask each other to come up with 25 You Are statements - and that can be a great eye opener. For example: what would a person think if they read, “You Are Angry most of the time…..” or “You are great at parties with adult neighbors - but lost in yourself when it comes to our kids…..” Wooooo!

CONCLUSION

I am someone who holds that the best way to go is to go from the known to the unknown. So I am someone who thinks if we do this for ourselves and each other first, it will be much more productive faith wise then when we do this to answer Jesus’ 2 questions. Who do others say I am? Who do you say I am?

For homework then: do the 25 I AM self first, then the 25 You Are test second and then third, do this for Jesus - who others say he is and then who I say he is.

No comments: