Monday, April 22, 2013


JESUS  KEEPS 
CALLING  MY NAME


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this Monday in the Fourth Week of Easter is, “Jesus Keeps Calling My Name.”

In today’s gospel, Jesus says, “the sheep hear his voice, as he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.” [Cf. John 10:3.]

Today’s gospel also says: “Although Jesus used this figure of speech, they did not realize what he was trying to tell them.”

Do I realize what Jesus is saying here?

Do I realize Jesus knows me by name?

ISAIAH 49:16

Many people list their favorite scripture text as Isaiah 49:16. I’ve seen it on posters and on coffee cups and bumper stickers. It has variations from the Hebrew: “See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.”  Or, “I have written your name on the palm of my hands.”

I think of it when I give out communion to kids who have names of others in ball point pen on the palms of their hands.

Alphonsus Jansen  in his book on The Meaning of Love and Marriage says that people who are in love say one word over and over and over again. “It’s the name of the one they love.”

Do I realize that God knows me by name?

Do I hear God calling me by name every day?

HARRY CHAPIN SONG: “SOMEONE KEEPS CALLING MY NAME.”



One of my favorite songs by Harry Chapin is, “Someone Keeps Calling My Name.”

He and a chorus keep singing that refrain over and over and over again: “Someone Keeps Calling My Name.”

The song has 3 persons hearing that message: a little girl name Jenny - 4 fingers old; Jonathan 50 seasons old; and Jamie 15 years old.”

And each of the three wonder if it’s just the rustling of the wind or maybe I just need a friend.

“Someone Keeps Calling My Name.”

I looked up the song on line and listened to it again - and under one version there are two comments to whoever put the song on line that grabbed me.

The first comment was “First song my wife sang to me. It means a lot. Thank you.”

The second comment was. “Wonderful song. Clearly a reminder from Harry that God is always wanting to speak to us.”

CONCLUSION

The title of my homily is, “Jesus Keeps Calling My Name.”

Folks often ask us priests the question the disciples ask Jesus in Luke 11:1, “Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples.”

And Jesus taught them the Our Father.

Another answer is to be quiet - and as Jesus says in today’s gospel, John 10: 3 - to hear him call us by name.

No comments: