Thursday, August 2, 2012


DID JESUS
GRIND HIS TEETH?

Jesus, did you grind your teeth
when you were a kid? Did Mary
or Joseph yell out at you at two in
the morning, "Jesus, stop grinding
your teeth! We're here with you
even though we're in the dark"?

Jesus, did you grind your teeth
when you were frustrated? Did
you bite down on your teeth
when you saw your disciples
were not getting what you
were talking about? Or did you
notice this in others when
they were angry or frustrated
in marriage or family or with you?

Jesus, I notice you use this image
from time to time, so I’m wondering
when and where you came up
with this interesting sound bite?*

You have to admit, it does have
an edge to it - in fact, when I read
the gospels and spot the grinding
of teeth image I sort of like
the sound of it - and I grind my teeth
a bit when I proclaim it. How about you?
Did you have the same feeling?


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2012


* Greek word for grinding is either brugmos or trizo as found in  the gospels. Check Luke 13:28 brugmos; Mark 9:18 trizo;  Matthew 8:12  brugmos; Matthew 13:42 brugmos; Matthew 13:50 brugmos; Matthew 22:13 brugmos; Matthew 24: 51 brugmos; Matthew 25:30 brugmos.







No comments: