Monday, June 25, 2012


I KNOW WHY 
YOU DID THAT!

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 12 Monday in Ordinary Time is, “I Know Why You Did That!”

I once heard Father Pat Lynch - when he was stationed here at St. Mary’s Parish - give a homily - and he took his hand - and walked two fingers across the front edge of the pulpit - paused and then said with his great smile, “Nobody ever saw a motive walk down the street!”

I don’t remember what his homily was about - but I have never forgotten that simple message - and I remember it at times - not always - when I find myself judging another person’s motive.

TODAY’S GOSPEL

And I usually remember that simple example and message whenever I read today’s gospel. And I probably use that example whenever I have to say a few words about today’s gospel.

Good. It’s a good example. It reminds us to do what Jesus says here in the Sermon on the Mount.

Jesus tells us to: STOP JUDGING!

Jesus tells us that we nit pick on others - spotting the splinters in our sister or our brother’s eye - but we don’t spot the wooden beams in our own eye.

It’s like spotting a tiny piece of white flaky dandruff on the shoulder of a blue suit or dress and we don’t see the gossip stains splashed all over our own soul.

In other words, “Let him or her without splinters cast the first judgment and comment.”

IT’S A BUMMER!

Jesus also tells us in today’s gospel  to change our measuring stick - our ruler - because it can both rule and ruin a meal or a relationship or life for us.

Let me explain one of my human learnings or life lessons. 

I know someone who has a great musical ear and great musical talents. When he hears someone sing or play the piano - he’s hearing that music differently than I hear it. I don’t have an ear - in fact, I was in the Tin Ear Club all through my years in the seminary. I hear music with unmarked rulers or measuring sticks or scores. I’m happy if someone can simply stand up there and sing or play the guitar or the piano. Amazing! He hears it with his measuring sticks - and if it’s off pitch a half note or a quarter note - if there is such a thing - or off tune or flat, it irritates him. I laugh, because that’s what you get when you get a great musical ear or any talent.

I once took a workshop when I lived in Wisconsin on Religious Art by a Sister Monica - who was an artist. She showed us slides of good religious art and horrible religious art. As a result I look at religious art differently and appreciate art better - but it ruined some holy cards and magazine and book covers with religious art for me. I have to be careful that I don’t poo poo someone’s art work - or become snooty.

So we have our measuring rulers on what makes a great work of art or song - as well as a hamburger, veal parmesan, movie, marriage, spouse, child, neighbor, priest, sermon, conversation, morning, afternoon, evening, fire works, wine, whiskey, beer, sunset, and sometimes we don’t enjoy any of the above because we’re comparing moments and people with other moments and people and situations.  If we have a high bar, we might not enjoy the cocktail. Comparisons can crush and crunch and quench the spirit.

CONCLUSION

In the meanwhile, take long walks and listen to music. But don't walk or listen with your rulers or your motives or your wooden beams. Listen or walk with open, clean, clear eyes - and enjoy the delights God is presenting us with today. Amen.


















1 comment:

Patrick said...

I would not like my surgeon
To scribble in the margin
While I am on the table
“I’m not sure I’ll be able
To remember where this goes
In his nose or on his toes.
So I better write it down
At least this time around.
The next time I will be very clever
For having recorded this endeavor.”