Monday, March 19, 2012

WOULD ANYONE NAME 
THEIR KID AFTER YOU?

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this feast of St. Joseph is, “Would anyone name their kid after you?”

I thought of that as a title and a theme for a homily on this the feast of St. Joseph.

I’ve never been in on the naming of a child - yet I have baptized many a child. To me a significant moment happens when the priest or deacon asks the parents, “What name do you give your child?”

I’ve heard stories where priests have erupted a bit when they heard the name the parents were going to give the child and the priest didn’t like the name. Grouch! Grouch! “It’s not a Saint's name!” Or “It has to be the name of a Saint!”

As far as I know the priest or deacon can’t do that.

Moreover, I sense that people today give as much care to the name they want to give a child as they did in the past - maybe even more today - with parents having fewer children than past generations.

That’s been my experience - hearing parents saying they take a lot of care in selecting their child’s first name - as well as their second name - if given.

I’m asking in this homily, “Would anyone name their kid after you?”

IN THE PAST

In the past some kids were named after a parent - especially a dad? Is there an equivalent for "Junior" for a  daughter who receives the same name as her mom?

In the past some kids were named after a grandparent - with a first name or a second name.

In the past some kids were given the name of a saint - and sometimes if the child is born on a Saint’s day - that name is given the child. Martin Luther was named after Martin of Tours. He was born on the feast of St. Andrew, but was baptized the next day, the feast of St. Martin of Tours. I was born on the feast of St. Andrew Avellino - so I got the name Andrew - and then my father added Jackson - because there was a story told in Ireland that Andrew Jackson, the 7th President of the United States might have been a Catholic, if there were more priests in the United States - as in the United States south.

ST. JOSEPH

Since today is the feast of St. Joseph, I think of various  people I’ve known and met who were named Joseph because of St. Joseph. I’ve thought of all the kids who had the power to choose a Confirmation name and how many chose Joseph. They looked at the lives of the saints - in search of a Saint they liked - and chose Joseph because he was a man of courage and strength - a protector. I like the image of Joseph representing all those strong foundation type fathers - dads - who are quiet - but always there. That’s how I see Joseph - and to name a child that - praise God.

CONCLUSION

The title of my homily is, “Would anyone name their kid after you?”

Wouldn’t that be a great compliment?

I guess the main message for this homily then would be: “So act that people who know you - would name a child after you!”

I’ve only had one kid named after me. It wasn't a  relative. Don't my nieces like me? Don't they think "Andrew" is a great name? Smile. It was a kid named Andrew Fredholm - who was born on June 20, 1965 or that was the day Charlie Fredholm and his wife adopted him. Charlie was the kid next door - when growing up in Brooklyn New York.

















No comments: