Saturday, January 28, 2012


IMPACT:
THAT MAN IS YOU


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 3rd Saturday in Ordinary Time is, “Impact: That Man Is You!”

Last night after reading the readings for today the theme of “Impact” hit me.

Last night I reflected upon the question: “What have been the things that impacted me - those moments and memories, experiences and peoples who have impacted my life - changed me - got me to reconsider realities?”

It’s a good question. It’s worth reflecting upon. Answers will come - but not all the answers. There are things that had an impact upon us - but we forgot all about them

Then sometimes, something triggers a recall. Then we say, “Oh that’s where I got that thought or idea from. How many times has that hit us?

TODAY’S FIRST READING: 2 SAMUEL 12: 1-7, 10-17

The title of my homily is, “Impact: That Man Is You?”

The second part of that statement is what hit me last night, namely, “That Man Is You!” It’s a statement made by Nathan to David in today’s first reading. That’s the translation I was used to. The New American Bible as you heard today put it this way, “You are the man!”

It’s the title of a book by Louis Evely that came out in 1964 - and it had a great impact on people’s lives. I noticed in doing some research on this book last night - that his book is on many lists of people’s best books.

In one issue of U.S. Catholic magazine, people were asked to respond to this question: “What book had the greatest spiritual influence on your life?” Some people said it was, “That Man Is You,” by Louis Evely.

I also noticed a request sent in to another magazine: “What book would you recommend and why for my younger sister who now has interest in religion in her life?” Some recommended, “That Man Is You” by Louis Evely,

You know the whole story - part of which is in today’s first reading. David steals another man’s wife - Bathsheba. Nathan comes to him and tells him a parable. A poor man had nothing - nothing but a tiny little sheep. His neighbor was a rich man - who had a guest coming - so instead of taking from his own flock to come up with a meal for his visitor - he steals the poor man’s sheep.

David takes the bite. He says, “Who is this man who did such a thing? It’s not fair.”

Nathan the Prophet says, “That man is you.”

That statement - that story - taught me the power of parables and stories, movies and plays, as well as the power of books.

Impact.

Thinking about that last night - I realized that book taught me the great message: every story in the Bible has me in mind. Every story is about me. That man is you. That woman is you. That story is your story!”

I am the Magi and the Shepherds. I am all the characters in the Good Samaritan story. I’m the Good Thief and the Bad Thief. I’m the lost coin and the lost sheep. I’m Adam and Eve. I’m Moses and David. It am the Woman at the Well. I’m a disciple of Jesus - in the boat - as we heard in today’s gospel - and I’m trying to get to the other side and I’m facing a storm - and I need faith.

I’m doubting Thomas and I’m Thomas Aquinas - whose feast day is today - January 28th.

This message of seeing ourselves in every story is exactly what Shakespeare and the great movie makers knew. I’m Bogart and Bergman in Casablanca. I’m Jimmy Stewart in It’s A Wonderful Life.

I am the person on the bridge in the famous 1893 painting by Edvard Munch - called “The Scream”. Everyone has deep screams inside their being. What are they?


Then I remembered an article I wrote for Priest magazine - a long, long time ago. The article was on my favorite 10 books. I wondered if I had Louis Evely’s book on my list. Yep, it was # 9.

THE LONG LINE

Surprise I noticed in the things I was reading last night mention of a story by a French playwright, Jean Anouilh. He told the story about the line of folks on their way up to the Pearly Gates. As I read that I said, “Oh no!” I was humbled because I realized where I got my idea for a sermon on just that - a sermon that I enjoyed giving. Surprise, it wasn’t my idea in the first place.

CONCLUSION

Realizing that I’m someone who has picked up stuff from all over, it’s no wonder I like the line in Ulysses, the poem by Tennyson, “I am part of all that I have met.”

This humbles me. It also leads to gratitude for all those who impacted my life.

No comments: