Thursday, November 10, 2011





RELATIONSHIP - HAVING A
RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD



Is it possible
to have a relationship with God?


You’re kidding -
to have a relationship with God?


To have a relationship
with the Creator and Maintainer
of the Universe?


To have a relationship
with the Someone who is
larger than space and time
and smaller than 1000 million
miles inside the tiny of an atom?


You’re kidding! Right?


And if you’re a Christian,
to have a relationship with
someone who lived 2000 years ago?


And add a Third Reality -
A Holy Spirit - you’re kidding!


However ….


I once met a man - a man in his 80’s -
down on the North Carolina - Tennessee 
border who told me that every morning
when he wakes up - he keeps his
eyes closed - and he wiggles his toes
and if they wiggle - he thanks God
for another day of life.


Now, because of that man 
I have found myself wiggling
my toes for the last 32 years at odd
times - in the middle of the Mass -
but always after the sermon -
during boring meetings - while writing.


Hey I just did that right now.


See it proves I’m alive.


How about you? Wiggle your toes.


It’s a miracle. I got you to wiggle
your toes from miles and miles away.


Then say with a smile on your face,
“Thank you God for this moment.”


Wow! Not only did I get you to wiggle
your toes and smile, I also got you to pray.


I know all those proofs for the
existence of God and I just finished
Hitch 22 - A Memoir by Christian Hitchens
who writes that he’s an atheist.


My toes: what a great proof
that YOU exist, God. Want to wash
my toes? I’d love to wash yours
if I could. I know I can’t, so I’ll try to wash
others’ toes - metaphorically, of course.

Now wiggle your toes and all the rest
of you as you sing the song on the top
of this reflection. Smile. Sing. Wiggle!



© Andy Costello, Reflections 2011

No comments: