Monday, October 24, 2011



SLIP SLIDIN’ AWAY

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 30th Monday in Ordinary time is, “Slip Slidin’ Away.”

It’s the title and theme of a song by Paul Simon - of Simon and Garfunkel fame.

If you use a computer type into Google, “Slip Slidin’ Away song by Paul Simon - You Tube” - and listen - and listen - and listen - or hit the triangle above and listen and listen and listen.

I noticed a comment under one You Tube version of Paul Simon singing the song - sent in by someone - that went like this: "i lost my mom 3 months ago. and my dad 3 years ago. and im 19 and my brother is 16, we miss them so much. they used to dance together to this song. RIP love ya.”

What a beautiful life scene for two sons to see - their parents dancing together to this song, “Slip Slidin’ Away”.

Life is slip sliding away.

Stop at slip. Sometimes life slips away - as in an “Ooops!” - A sudden drop - a sudden surprise finding out we have a heart problem or there’s cancer or the marriage of a son or daughter is finished. I see slips as quicker and more sudden than slides - not necessarily - but that’s how I see them.

Sliding - seems to happen slower - as in a pencil rolling down a slanted wooden top.

Life is a slip sliding away.

So Paul Simon sings about, “I know a man…. I know a woman…. I know a father ….” and in each case the person mentioned is experiencing life slip sliding away.

Listen to some of the lyrics. I can’t sing - but I can read his lyrics:

          Slip slidin' away
          You know the nearer your destination
          The more you're slip slidin' away

          I know a man

          He came from my home town
          He wore his passion for his woman
          Like a thorny crown
          He said Dolores
          I live in fear
         My love for you's so overpowering
         I'm afraid that I will disappear

         Slip slidin' away

         Slip slidin' away
         You know the nearer your destination
         The more you're slip slidin' away

          I know a woman

          Became a wife
          These are the very words she uses
          To describe her life
          She said a good day
          Ain't got no rain
          She said a bad day's when I lie in bed
          And think of things that might have been

          Slip slidin' away

          Slip slidin' away
          You know the nearer your destination
          The more you're slip slidin' away

TODAY’S READINGS

In today’s first reading from Romans Paul announces that we have a choice of living in fear or living by the Spirit.

Which is me?

Fear or Spirit? Fear or Freedom? Alive or dead?

I remember discovering that I was praying down deep a prayer without knowing it for I don’t know how long. I would be praying - but really praying this other prayer. It was from Luke: “Lord, teach me how to pray!” It slipped in without my knowing it. Then without knowing it, that prayer switched to, “Lord, teach me how to love.”

When does a person switch from just saying - just reciting - just repeating - the words of “The Our Father” - to coming into the presence of God as “Abba” or “Daddy.” Do they just slip slide into that?

When I read in today’s first reading the word “adoption” I thought of kids whom I met who are adopted. How long does it take that kid to say, “daddy” to their father? Does it just slide into their conversation - without their being aware of it? Did they hear other kids call their dad, “Daddy!” Does a father notice it - like in noticing the first word or first step they see a baby take?

I would assume that a woman would be very aware of the first time she slid into a pants suit - if she always wore a dress - till that moment. I would also assume that a person would be very aware when they slipped into their first tattoo - or high heels - or brand new car.

I would assume that much of life is slip sliding.

In today’s gospel - Luke 13: 10 to 17 - Jesus slips into the synagogue for the first time since Luke 6:6 when he cured the man with the paralyzed hand. I didn’t notice that he slipped out of the synagogue for over 6 chapters till I read that in a commentary this morning - in preparing this homily. I think that’s what triggered the words, “slip slidin away”.

I thought about this woman whose back had been bent over for 18 years. Did that happen gradually? I assume it did. And Jesus healed her and the leader of the synagogue complained that Jesus did this healing on a Sabbath. When did he become so harsh and cold and crippled himself? Was it for 18 years? Jesus healed this woman - but was the leader of the synagogue healed?

Do healings happen suddenly or slowly?

May we all be moving in the best direction slowly or suddenly - slip sliding into the Freedom of the Children of God - that Paul talks about in today’s first reading.

CONCLUSION

Someone handed me a copy of a Hospice Pamphlet entitled, "Gone From My Sight - The Dying Experience" by Barbara Karnes. The author, Barbara Karnes, says "Death is as unique as the individual who is experiencing it."

Reading the booklet triggered all kinds of memories and moments - especially being with people who were dying - and the people around them who were experiencing the life of a loved one - dare I say it - "slip slidin' away".

I kept wondering if I will be aware of all this when it's one to three months prior to my death - then one to two weeks - then one to two days, to hours prior to my death.

It hit me slowly as well as suddenly - the value of slipping into the synagogue to pray - to be with God Our Father - Abba - Daddy - and see Jesus coming up to us. "Lord, teach me how to die - but first, Lord, teach me how to live. My life is slip slidin' away.

Listen to that song. Get to know yourself. We’re all slip slidin’ away. May we all be slip slidin’ into better and better ways of seeing and doing  and living life.

1 comment:

Lindamarie said...

This is so true. Our losses are either sudden or over a period of time and either way we suffer. The sudden slip is a shock and takes time to heal, whereas the slipping away of a loved one prepares you for the inevitable. Lots to think about.