Thursday, September 15, 2011




UNDER  THE  CROSS


I stand under the cross
wishing I could hear
Jesus’ words to Mary and John
addressed to me,
“Woman, this is your son.”
and “This is your Mother.”



I stand under the cross,
wishing I could say
what the centurion said,
“Truly this was the Son of God.”



I stand under the cross
watching the scene between
the Good Thief and the Bad,
but their voices about saving oneself
and being saved and robbing
paradise at the last minute
aren’t my scene either.



I stand under the cross wishing I could say,
“I am thirsty!” wishing my faith
was thirstier, but it’s not.



I stand under the cross in the dark
seeing the spit and the blood
on the ground,
wondering down deep if the echo
of curses in the air still being thrown at Jesus
are my inner sounds. I hope not. No. Never.



I stand under the cross and hear,
“Father forgive them because
they don’t know what they are doing.”



I stand under the cross saying and praying
“That’s me. You know me!
Into your hands O God,
I hand over my spirit. Amen.”



© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2011

No comments: