Friday, June 3, 2011


THE  WEINSBERG 
WIVES




Quote for Today - June 3, 2011

THE  WEINSBERG  WIVES

         The wives who lived within the walls of the Weinsberg Castle in Germany were well aware of the riches the castle held: gold, silver, jewels, and wealth beyond belief.

         Then the day came in 1141 when all their treasure was threatened. An enemy army had surrounded the castle and demanded the fortress, and the lives of the men within. There was nothing to do but surrender.

         Although the conquering commander had set a condition for the safe release of all women and children, the wives of Weinsberg refused to leave without having one of their own conditions met as well: they demanded that they be allowed to fill their arms with as many possessions as they could carry out with them. Knowing that the women couldn't possibly make a dent in the massive fortune, their request was honored.

        When the castle gates opened, the army outside was brought to tears. Each woman had carried out her husband.

         The wives of Weinsberg, indeed, were well aware of the riches the castle held.



____________________________________

The drawing on top was by Hans Baldung Grien (c. 1484-85 to 1545).

I could not find the name of the sculptor of the work at the bottom of the folk tale. I found it on line under, "The Weinsberg Wives."

I found the above story, "The Weinsberg Wives" on page 157 in H. Jackson Brown Jr's book, Highlighted in Yellow - A short course in living wisely and choosing well. It's published by Ruthledge Hill Press, Nashville, Tennessee, 2001 - and is well worth having it on one's desk or coffee table for short reflections.

Now I don't know the truth of the story, but as people often say, "Every story might not be true, but every story has a truth."  On Google, I discovered it's considered a classic folk tale.

I could hear a preacher telling this story in church - and I can hear comments from lots of people coming out of church about their husbands tummies - maybe even patting them. I can also see a few women walking out carrying  their thin husbands in their arms and saying, "Father, Father, look! I could do it. My husband is a real treasure."

1 comment:

Mary Joan said...

I love that story .

" Carried " my husband thru terminal illness.

He was a treasure .