Sunday, June 26, 2011



FEED ME


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this feast of Corpus Christi - now called, “The Feast of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ” - is, “Feed Me”.

I’m sure we’ve all seen a poor person by the side of the road - or on a sidewalk  - with a child in hand - or cradled in their arms - with a sign around their or their  kid’s neck - “Feed Me!”

The world’s population is or is estimated to hit 7 billion people this year: 2011.

Question…. Key question for this homily: Does every person on the planet - all 7 billion of us - have a sign on our forehead or on our face or in our eyes that says, “Feed Me.”

HUMAN HUNGERS AND HUMAN THIRSTS

Is every human being saying, “I’m hungry and thirsty for more - for so much more!”

Is every human being like the kids in Oliver walking around with bowls in hand saying or singing, “Please sir, I want some more.” Is every kid singing and crying I want more than gruel. I want, I need, I sing for, “Food glorious food.”

Is every child crying for their parents' time - attention - games - reading - presence?

It’s obvious in church when we hear the beautiful scream of a child - who is singing, “Feed me!”

It’s not so obvious is us older kids - who are here in church screaming inwardly about what's going on in our lives. Church is a time to get in touch with our human needs - our human screams - as well as those around us here in church - but especially all those out there - whom we’ll meet today - whom we’ll meet this week.  And I’m not just talking about those who would like a hand out - but those in our own families or work place - that we  put our hand out in peace to them. The sign of peace at Mass is not just for those we’re at Mass with - but for us to be signs of peace all week.

Is every human being saying:  Feed me with love. Feed with respect. Feed me with food. Could I have a drink of cool clear water? Please listen to me. Please hold the door for me. Please acknowledge me. Please recognize me. Please give me a job. Please give me an education. Please give me a seat at the table. Give me a chance.  I need clean water to swim in, clean air to breathe in. Don’t dump on me. Please be aware of the needs of the generations to come. Let’s get our economic, our ecological, our spiritual, our educational, our cultural houses in order.

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS

Those of you who channel surf - or like to watch old TV movies - probably have seen the old movie, “Little Shop of Horrors.” It came out  way back in 1960. That’s 50 years ago. And it features a singing plant - a big singing plant in a florist shop - that sings, “Feed Me!”.

It’s a comedy - it’s a farce - it’s dark humor - it takes a while to get used to it and into it - but it has a fascinating message. Is every person singing that song, “Feed Me”?

I found it interesting that the movie had a budget of $30,000 - and that it was shot in 2 days - using movie sets from another movie. It was a b movie - part of a double feature - for a time with the movie, “Black Sunday” and then with “The Last Woman on Earth.”

Then it stood on it’s own two feet - the dream of every human being.


It slowly became a cult film. It helped that Jack Nicholson had a small, small part in it. As an aside, let me mention, that I once found in a retreat house basement an old vocation movie put out by the Franciscans that had Jack Nicholson as a young man playing the part of a young man thinking of the priesthood. I watched it a few times and yep it was Jack Nicholson - about to burst into the vocation of being a star movie actor. I left that 16 mm. movie on a shelf there in that basement and it disappeared. I always thought it would make a big splash if it was put on TV - and in the meanwhile still get someone to think Franciscan - and think priesthood.

By mentioning this in my sermon and then on my blog - I’m getting it out there and maybe someone will track it down - and do just that.

FEED ME

In this homily - and on this feast - the theme I’m pushing - is that every human being is screaming, “Feed Me!”

We and lots of people are in church this Sunday because we are hungry people - hungry for God, hungry for Jesus’ Body and Blood, hungry for meaning, for a good word, and hungry to do all this with others.

A key text in the Bible for me has always been Genesis 2:18: “It is not good to be alone!”

It’s from the most primitive and earliest part Genesis - that is an amalgamation of various stories and texts from different eras of Israel’s traditions. So God creates the animals. Man then gives each of them a name - but dogs and cats and birds and beasts are not enough. One is not enough.

It’s a great story - with great psychology and anthropology and humor - so God puts the man into a deep sleep - and takes out one of his ribs and sculpts it with flesh to make a woman - so the man will no longer be alone.

And when Adam wakes up and sees woman for the first time he says, “This is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh. This is to be called ‘woman’ - for this was taken from man.” It’s funny stuff here. There is a cute play on words in the Hebrew. “Ish” is the word for “man” and “ishshah” is the word for woman.

Using English words, I like Bill Crosby’s play of words in his presentations on Genesis. When Adam saw this one for the first time he says, “WOOOOO MAN!”

Human beings need each other and feed off each other. It is not good to be alone.

Women and men, we need each other. Feed me.

We need relationships. Feed me.

We need to see our connections - rib to rib. Feed me.

This early story in our Bible brings us back to the basics.

It is not good to be alone.

This is the most basic human story.

I would hold that this story is also telling us that God realized, “It’s not good to be alone.”

God is saying, “Feed me!”

God is saying, “Talk to me!”

God is saying, “Walk with me!”

Want summer reading? Read the Book of Genesis - or just the first 5 chapters up to the flood and you’ll hear the human story.

Space and stuff is not enough.

God needed us and we need God. Feed me.

God needed audience and we need audience.

Is there anyone on the planet who knows I am on the planet?

How many times have we sat on a plane seat in an airplane or a plain seat in the mall or in a restaurant and wondered who is this person in walking by - with that interesting t-shirt or hat or shoes or pocketbook or what have you?

Talk to me. Talk to each other. Listen to me. Feed me.

We’re driving along and there are 2 people walking along in the cool of the evening - walking and talking - or there is someone walking alone but they are talking to someone miles away - on one of those phones in the ear attachment. How is that different from the scene right there on those early pages of Genesis where we read that God walked with Adam and Eve in the Garden in the cool of the evening - that is till they blew it - and they hid - and in their nakedness they had to admit to God they disobeyed him and ate the forbidden fruit?

They were discovering what every human being has discovered: sin separates. Sin breaks the human covenant. Sin fractures family and friendships and marriages.

They were discovering that we sin because we want more - we want to be fed with more, more, more. It's tempting to reach for forbidden fruit. We want to be like God - so we want it all - and we are not God - but mysteriously - we can have it all - if we are with God and work with God and share with God and each other.

But no that is not enough. Ugh. This is the naked human condition.

As W. H. Auden put it in his words in his 1971 book, A Certain World: A Commonplace Book,  “All sins are attempts to fill voids.”

Isn’t that the truth?

Isn’t that another way of saying, “Feed me”?

Isn’t that what Augustine says big time in his great book, Confessions?  The Confessions of Saint Augustine is dated to around 400. We all know his words, “I was in love with loving.” “Give me chastity and continence, but not just now.” “Too late I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient and ever new! Too late I loved you! And behold, you were within me, and I out of myself, and there I searched for you.”

And Augustine tells us about all his searching and his dealing with sex - philosophies - various religions - till he hits bottom and discoveres Christ.

It’s the same as the old saying in Alcoholics Anonymous, “We were looking for God in the bottom of a bottle!”

Isn’t that why we have so many broken bottles in church parking lots and along so many streets - and why we have so many young people walking down West Street and so many different streets on Saturday night - and don’t know what they are looking for is God who can be found in so many churches on Sunday morning - and in healthy good relationships.

CONCLUSION

Today is the feast of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ!

Today millions of the billions on this planet will walk up the aisle of Catholic churches wanting to be fed by the Body and Blood of Christ.

Feed me!

The Catholic Church proclaims and teaches that we receive the Body and Blood of Christ in each communion - whether we just take the bread or the wine or both. It would be nice to have the option here at St. Mary's on Sunday of receiving from the cup like we do at every Mass at St. John Neumann. On Saturday evening and Sunday we only receive the Bread because the aisles and space for Eucharistic ministers and people would be too backed up.

We  also have the wonderful tradition in the Catholic Church of being able to drop in and sit in the presence of Jesus in this Blessed Sacrament in our churches or in Eucharistic Chapels. Our Eucharistic Chapel is closed right now with the renovations in this church - fixing up the heating system - but the church at St. John Neumann is open during the day.

I love walking into Catholic Churches any place I find myself - and walk in and just be - and surprise there is usually someone over there sitting in the afternoon quiet - behind a column - in the semi-darkness in prayer and I can sense them saying, praying, “Feed me!”

And I would think they come back because they are fed - but they also go out from church - from Mass - from prayer - and feed others - giving others their body and blood - a listening ear, a helping hand - word of wisdom - a walk in peace. Amen.

No comments: