Tuesday, October 5, 2010





















SEELOS AND LINCOLN

Quote for the Day -- October 5, 2010

Feast of Blessed Francis X. Seelos, Redemptorist

"Next Monday I go to Washington City to see, if possible, Father Abraham and have a talk with him about the draft. If I do not succeed in obtaining a release from that unjust injunction, we will rather go to prison than to take up arms. As for paying the bounty for each Redemptorist in the draft, to pay for so many, we are not able."


Francis X. Seelos [1800-1867], as found on page 211 in Rev. Michael Curley's biography of Francis Xavier Seelos's life, Cheerful Ascetic. Seelos did get to see the President, Abraham Lincoln and wrote "I liked President Lincoln very much when I went to see him. He spoke to us in a sincere, free, and friendly manner." [also on page 211].

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how are you!This was a really marvelous Topics!
I come from milan, I was fortunate to approach your blog in baidu
Also I get a lot in your Topics really thank your very much i will come every day